1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on '08 Prius with possible battery failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jen&Mike, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've read this forum before - fantastic! Hoping you knowledgeable folks can help me!

On my way to work today my dashboard lit up with the red triangle, yellow brake system warning, VSC & check engine lights, along with the red car & exclamation point on the touch screen. I turned around to head home, but the car eventually lost the ability to accelerate at all. I coasted to a stop & parked on a street about 2 blocks from home.

Once my husband gets home from work, we will get the car home & go from there.

Does this sound like hybrid battery failure to those with experience in this?
    My husband is fairly handy with cars though the only space we have to work on a car is under a carport or in the street. We plan to pass this car on to our son in a year and a half when he turns 16, then get ourselves a newer Prius.

Which option would be our most feasible?
    Purchase of a new battery with my husband installing?
    Having a mobile service come & replace the battery? (New or refurb?)
    Something else?

Our home A/C unit is on its last leg and we're already looking at 5 grand to replace it. NEED SOMETHING VERY AFFORDABLE!

Thank you SO MUCH for any advice you can offer. I am totally in the dark here, but willing to research and listen to those with experience and knowledge.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes what you've described sounds like HV battery failure.

To get it home safely, you can disconnect the 12v negative for a minute and it'll reset the car. It should be enough time to get it 2 blocks.

You should buy a new battery and have your husband install it. This will be the most reliable repair, especially when you're passing it down to a 16 year old. You don't want the worry of the "refurbished" batteries failing

You can also try and get a goodwill warranty from Toyota. It's worth a gamble for the cost of a 1 hour diagnostic fee at Toyota (they will require the code from Toyota). If Toyota chips in half of your repair costs, it might be more affordable than buying and installing yourself

Jen&Mike likes this.
  3. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if they won't help, contact olathe toyota in kansas, known for good battery price.
    also, a member here (@2k1Toaster ) has new aftermarket batteries for $1,600. iirc.

Jen&Mike likes this.
  5. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Everyone's opinion of affordable is different.
    I would never saddle a teenager with a decade-old hybrid car with a USED battery in it.
    Even if that battery is new to you.
    When the USED battery fails again (and it will) that teenager is going to have to figure out where to come up with the $2,000-$3,000 right at a time when they should be spending their money on college or other expenses.

Better for you to spend the $2,000 - $3,000 now to get him off on the right foot.
    Or simple buy a different non-hybrid car that does not carry the financial risk of a failing hybrid battery. Corolla, Matrix, Civic (not hybrid version!), etc

Jen&Mike likes this.
  6. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I was wondering if you all had recommendations for purchasing new batteries. Our local Toyota dealership (Fowler) has a reputation for overcharging & recommending unnecessary work in addition to high prices on new & used cars. I went there for a couple of oil changes and after being stuck in the waiting area for 3-4 hours with 2 small kids & always paying more than expected, I haven't been back. We DON"T have a "close"relationship to say the least!

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see post #4

8. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know you've been involved in discussions re: GreenBean Battery...here is my game plan so far (INPUT WELCOME FROM ALL!!!)
    1. Try for goodwill warranty through Toyota
    2. Look into purchase of new battery for my husband to install - don't know WHERE TO BUY ONE. Suggestions?
    3. Have GreenBean install refurb with 5-year warranty (provided they are still in business in 5 years) for $1549, and replace with new battery when in better financial position. Other then Green Bean, it looks like we'd have to tow the car down to TX to have it serviced, pr pay someone to come to OK to service it. Unless I'm missing another option. ???

9. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    From what I can tell on the website they won't have Gen 2 batteries till October. I would have to rent or borrow a car (slim chance) until then...

bisco likes this.
  10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see post #4.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check with 2k1toaster.

Jen&Mike likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    call matt at texas hybrid batteries.

Jen&Mike likes this.
  13. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Contacted Olathe Toyota. $1625.80 for battery but they will not sell over the counter.
    Hudiburg Toyota & Fowler Toyota in Oklahoma charge $1950 for the battery + $1350 core charge & will sell over the counter.
    Toyota Customer service was not willing to offer any goodwill as the car is an '08 with 186k miles.
    I did. He's got a shipment coming in in October if nothing gets held up. I've been trying to get creative about transportation possibilities till then, but I don't think we will be able to work it out. Otherwise I would be HAPPY to purchase a battery from him!!!

bisco likes this.
  14. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you are planning to give this to you 16 year old, regardless of 5 year warranty or not, DO NOT BUY refurbished. They are not reliable and last thing you want is a teen with a broken down car far from home (or warranty service)

SFO and Jen&Mike like this.
  15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Contacted Olathe Toyota. $1625.80 for battery but they will not sell over the counter

So how do they sell this battery for $1625.80? Online and pick up?

Jen&Mike likes this.
  16. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have a number for Matt? I emailed them, so if not, I should hear from them soon. THANK YOU!!!

17. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The guy I spoke to in Parts said they would sell it to me but it MUST be put in my certified Toyota techs. I mentioned that they were recommended as a reasonable source for purchasing Prius batteries; he wasn't impressed.
    I wonder if I called and asked for a manager if I would get a different answer???

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Contacted Olathe Toyota. $1625.80 for battery but they will not sell over the counter.
    Hudiburg Toyota & Fowler Toyota in Oklahoma charge $1950 for the battery + $1350 core charge & will sell over the counter

Ask if Hudiburg can match Olathe Toyota? Even at $1950, that's a very good price for the battery. Especially if your husband can self install

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  20. Jen&Mike

Jen&Mike New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Spoke with 21KToaster. He says:

"My understanding is that you just got the first red triangle of death of battery malfunction codes. If true, then you should be able to clear them, drive carefully, and get longer out of the battery knowing it is on its last legs. Usually 3-6 months is easily achievable. I went about a year on my "dead" battery and many thousands of miles.

Basically just keep a code reader/clearer with you. Avoid using the battery or allowing it to balance and test itself. Meaning don't reverse if you don't have to, and especially not at the beginning of a trip. So reverse into your garage so you can pull straight out later, pull through parking spaces, etc. Do NOT try to drive using the battery only. Limit AC usage, heater on to force the engine on is good. If the codes come back on, you can clear them and keep going. It has a problem and you know it now so you do need to get it fixed."

He has batteries coming in around October 1, and I feel like this is my best bet, unless I can get a battery from a dealer in OK.
    Is there ANY chance a dealer would refuse to refund the core charge? It is original. I don't think there is any possibility of water damage either.