1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on Buying a 2010 Toyota Prius IV Hatchback 4-Dr

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by rcarwile, Apr 10, 2018.

1. rcarwile

rcarwile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    We are looking at buying a 2010 Toyota Prius IV Hatchback 4-D from a friend.

133K miles. They purchased it at 61K miles from Toyota Dealership. It was a lease.

They have all records, have no problems with it. No oil burning/loss. The battery was replaced at 55K miles.

I have never owned a hybrid. This will be a vehicle for our teenage daughters to learn to drive on. Any questions I need to be asking? Concerns? Issues with 2010 Hybrids I need to look out for?

Thanks for the input!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

the hybrid battery was replaced by a toyota dealer under warranty? paperwork?

3. rcarwile

rcarwile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That is my understanding. I have not seen the paperwork yet.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent. make sure you get that before purchasing. the fact that it is not burning oil is good news. perhaps a preemptive strike at the egr and intake manifold will reduce the possibility of problems down the road.
    other than that, the only concern would be a major system going down, costing thousands of dollars. but in all likelihood, you shouldn't have too many problems.

5. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    My first thought is it was the 12 volt battery that got replaced; sounds more plausible, with a 2010. There's been very few 3rd gen (2010-2015) hybrid battery replacements reported here, so far.

The Electric Me, Bay Stater and bisco like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    same thought. let's see what the paperwork says, there have been a couple early failures.

7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Make sure you get blind spot mirrors to keep your daughters safe. The side visibility is rough enough for experienced drivers.

What is the price? How is the condition of the body, paint, and interior?

fotomoto likes this.
  8. rcarwile

rcarwile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here is what I know:

1) The owner told me they were told by the dealership that the battery was replaced at 55K. They talked like it was the main battery. I will see the car for the first time in person and all available paperwork, but I don't know what they have in regards to paperwork on the battery. I did pull the CarFax report and it states the following:

55,832 miles the following service:
    Oil and filter changed
    Battery replaced
    Engine/powertrain computer/module reprogrammed

Does the reprogramming suggest it was the main battery?

2) I have not seen the vehicle, but have lots of pictures. It appears to be in excellent condition. No wrecks, no dents, paint looks great. Was garaged. The only issue mentioned was the drivers side lumbar adjustment doesn't work.

We are buying it from friends who live out of town. We are paying $7500.

9. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That job description is very poor, just an inept service writer? You would think they'd spell it out. It's strangely early too.

10. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Perhaps try to locate the dealer who performed the service. Hopefully they can figure it out. Good luck with your car quest.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It's a fair price for your town, using kbb for a private party sale, shown here. I know the car is from out of town, which shouldn't make that much of a difference if it was still in Kentucky.

It's worth double checking, but I'm sure the battery was a 12v. Even if it was a hybrid battery, you'd have a newer one since it would have been replaced with an OEM battery under warranty.

The advantage of buying from a friend is that you can get the scoop on every repair and maintenance done, backed by bills or the name of the mechanic (who should have records).

Bay Stater likes this.
  12. rcarwile

rcarwile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought it.

The owner keep detailed records, but they didn't have anything on the previous owner other than the carfax report in regards to the battery change. They were told by the dealership that the main battery was what was changed, but they did not get anything in writing other than the carfax report. I plan to call the dealership to see if they can pull the record and tell me what was replaced just so I know....but either way I was comfortable buying the car. They kept great records and I know them well. The car is in excellent shape. It looks new. I drove it home (approx 100 miles) and am very pleased with how it drives. I was going 70-75 mph on the interstate, up a lot of hills, and still averaged just over 46 mpg! WOW! I'm looking forward to the savings at the gas tank.

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats! seems like a great price.

plug the vin into the toyota owners website for a full list of dealer recalls and services.

all the best!(y)

14. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One thing: when it says 46 mpg, calculated is likely more like 43, but still excellent for high speed.

15. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Congrats and good luck. Read up on the threads in the gen 3 forum and you'll learn a lot.

Bay Stater likes this.
  16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The description being just "Battery Replaced" from the carfax report and the mileage when this happened, only 55K, would make me place a bet that it was the 12v. Battery and not the Hybrid Battery.

But in either case, I think you may just be fine. If the Hybrid Battery was replaced? Fine-good. If it wasn't? You could still have a significant amount of time on the original.
    If you are still driving on the original, and keep it long enough, eventually it will fail, and you'll know it then. But until that time? I'd just drive it and enjoy it.

I guess what I'm saying, is you can do some hunting, and probably confirm which battery was replaced, but in either case I think you're OK. If it's driving well, and you aren't having any problems, then what you just bought was a good, operating Prius.

Bay Stater and Mendel Leisk like this.
  17. rcarwile

rcarwile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I followed up with the dealership that did the battery work. It was the 12V battery that was replaced. Mystery solved.

Bay Stater and Raytheeagle like this.
  18. rcarwile

rcarwile Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Here's my update after 1 month of ownership: I love it! The car is great, I have driven it over 2,000 miles in the first month and it is not burning oil, runs great, and I have been averaging about 43 mpg each fill up. I have gotten better mileage on some trips, but for the most part I drive it in a very hilly area and on the Interstate. I am happy with the mpg compared to my 2002 Tundra (15 mpg)!!!

The only concern I have so far is about the battery fan in the back seat. On occasion (about 4 times now) it is a bit noisy.....I plan to take it out and clean it at some point to see if that helps. I think we got a good deal, we are setting some money aside in case the battery cells go bad at some point down the road and need to be replaced.

Thanks for all your feedback! With 1 kid driving already and 3 more getting their licenses in the coming years, I have a feeling another Prius might be in our future.

royrose, RMB, Lightning Racer and 2 others like this.
  19. Andres V

Andres V Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Wow battery change at 55k mi that doesn't sound right. That Prius must have had a rough life! I hope they meant the 12V battery too as MelonPrius said.
    For the record my 2010 Prius had the HV battery die at 96000mi.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.