1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on buying a gen 3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by StellaJM, Nov 2, 2018.

1. StellaJM

StellaJM New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all! Wanted some advice on buying a gen 3 Prius, I had a 2008 gen 2 and loved it but lost it in a crash. I looking at a 2010 base level with 134,000 miles for 6,800$ or a 2011 level two with solar roof and navigation package with 140,000 miles for 7,500$. I’m leaning towards the 2011 for the backup camera alone. But anything else I should look out for or know? Am I getting a reasonable deal? Thanks!!

2. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    OP,
    I can't tell you if the above stated deals are good or not. I can tell you that at those mileages the cars probably need the 120K maintenance intervals. Ask for maintenance records to determine that.

Another major item is performing the EGR System cleaning. This item is not stated in the maintenance book. The concern is that the EGR Cooler can clog up causing a potential engine failure. This applies to all G3s.

MY2010 engines with over 100K are nortorius for using oil. Less so on the 2011s.

MY2012 was the refresh model year with better styling and safety improvements. For what it's worth I would op for MY2102 or newer.

Good luck with your car search.;)

#2 Bay Stater, Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    StellaJM and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. rosencrantz

rosencrantz Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    As mentioned already, I’d check the status of the 120k mile service. And, the importance of cleaning the EGR system “stem to stern” cannot, in my opinion, be overstated. If you were to KNOW that one of your prospective cars had the complete EGR system serviced, that would be a huge plus. I’d echo the advice of looking at a MY2012+ if it’s in your budget. CarComplaint has a LOT of oil burning stories on the MY2010 and MY2011 gen3s.

Bay Stater and StellaJM like this.
  4. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Double check that the one you choose has spent it's life registered in a CARB state, like California, and not imported from another state via auction. That would ensure your CARB warranty on the hybrid battery.

RMB, Bay Stater and StellaJM like this.
  5. MCCABE Yohe

MCCABE Yohe New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Are you buying from a dealer or private party? I would strongly recommend buying private party for the best bang for your buck and asking the forum for questions to ask. If you have links to the cars that would help endless questions too! I have so many!

StellaJM likes this.
  6. StellaJM

StellaJM New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the advice guys!! I ended up going with the 2011 Prius, and I’m getting it inspected at my local dealer tomorrow. Hopefully everything checks out! I’m sure I’ll be asking more advice in the future

bisco, Bay Stater and MCCABE Yohe like this.