1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on differences between used Gen 4 models

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by zabidi2, Jan 8, 2020.

1. zabidi2

zabidi2 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Im planning on getting a used Gen 4 from the Chicagoland area. I want to spend at the most 17k, and I was hoping to shoot for around 15k. I wanted to know if there were any notable differences between the models of the gen4 from 2016-2019. I know that after 2017 the TSS is included on all trims.

I also have some other questions on used cars and Prius's:

From what I gather the Prius is an extremely reliable car and can last 10 years or upto 200k miles with regular use, thus buying a car with ~70k miles is a better deal than one with ~30k because there is not a significant decrease in longevity. Is this accurate?

And how critical would you say getting a personal inspection is? I don't live in the Chicagoland area and have never owned a car so do not know any mechanic.

Also any tips on financing?

2. Daniel Dang

Daniel Dang New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Believe it or not the Prius is one of the most reliable car made by Toyota. I bought my 18 Prius with 133k miles on it and it's perfect. Get about 47mpg on winter and 55mpg on summer. Mine was a rental car and they just do regular maintenance such as brakes, tires change. The low mileage seem to be more degrade on battery than the high mileage. Even Toyota got confidence to add half the warranty for battery system to 150,000 miles in 2020 cars. Gen 4 Prius is phenomenon.

3. PaulDM

PaulDM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    There are some styling differences between the 2016-2018 and the 2019-2022 and some minor changes in the cabin like moving the heated seat switches and reversing the layout of the controls on the head unit left to right. The head unit also went from completely touchscreen to buttons which was actually an improvement in 2019. 2020 brought extra tech to the head unit with CarPlay and android audio integration. 2022 brought in a panoramic camera on the top model. externally 2016-2018 have the “zorro” rear lights but the indicators are tiny. 2019 onwards corrected this with a more horizontal design and better placement of the fog and running lights at the front.
    driving wise. Subjectively the 2019 seemed to have a bump in performance, especially in power mode but that may be just me. The blue colour I have shows dirt very rarely and looks good even through winter.
    hope that helps

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    With some of the first gen 4's you couldn't switch the speedometer between metric (km/h) and imperial (mph). "Think" it was just 2016's, and maybe not the full model year, but not sure exactly when they fixed it; @Prodigyplace knows IIRC.