1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on getting hybrid battery life checked out

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by HavingRegrets24, Jan 5, 2022.

1. HavingRegrets24

HavingRegrets24 New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Purchased a 2014 Prius last year and it currently has 80k miles. Car was owned my parents previously who took excellent care of it. Since I've had it I've had to try get to get 40 MPG in it. I used to have a 2010 that I could get in the 42 to 44 range without trying. Starting to think that maybe the hybrid battery is on its way out. I downloaded the Dr Prius App bought the battery test. It failed the first time Load Testing bottom voltage: warning! Suspected problem block 3, 4. Did the life expectancy test did not finish however. Did the battery test two more times and each time no issues. Wondering if I should take to a dealer to get it tested to know for sure or is the Dr Prius app trust worthy?

2. ForestBeekeeper

ForestBeekeeper Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    When our 2011 Gen-3 first reached 100K miles, I was very worried about how long to hold onto these Prii.

I spoke with our nearest Toyota Service Manager. He insisted that when the vehicle sets a diagnostic code that is the first indication that there is an issue. Until it sets a diagnostic code there is no way to guess at the health of the battery.

Even as it is failing, unless it sets a diagnostic code there is nothing the dealership can do.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that was just a glitch, the battery is fine. no computer is perfect. i would go about my business and sleep well.
    now, if you want to talk about the egr circuit, i'm all ears...