1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on HV battery death after small accident

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by whendovescry, May 6, 2019.

1. whendovescry

whendovescry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for ANY advice you can give me. I'll try to keep is short and sweet. ....I have a 2005 Prius and I wrecked it about two months ago hitting a trailer in front of me. It was ugly but no bags deployed or anything so I thought it's fixable. I was quoted $5,000 from a collision place and decided to go cheaper. Long story short I went with someone on craigslist that promised the world. Regardless, when I got the car back a month later it was a BAD fix. The blinkers didn't work and I got the big ! warning lights on. For weeks after the accident I never had those lights. Not sure the source but basically my main HV battery is bad after taking it to a "normal" mechanic. I'm wondering how this may have happened? I believe it sat for weeks before the person started working on my car, could that have drained it? Could the accident have dislodged something making it die? Or is it just coincidence it died shortly after the accident? My main mechanic wants $3,000 to replace and I just can't justify it. Anyway, thanks. I'm at a loss of what to do now since it's slowly becoming a money pit for me. Not sure when to throw in the towel. Thanks for any idea what may have caused the main battery to die and if it's related to the accident. Thank you!

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! sorry to hear it. yes, the likely cause is that an old battery becomes unbalanced as it sits unused, as each cell slowly drains at different rates.

you can buy a reconditioner, but the outcome might be iffy on a 14 year old battery.

ask your mech how much he'd want to install a new aftermarket battery from a member here: @2k1Toaster
    you can research his thread.
    but even if you're in for $2,000. say, are you convinced the car is worth it with the questionable repair?

you could be chasing ghosts forever.

all the best!(y)

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Letting a marginal at best hybrid battery sit for weeks will kill it.

Raytheeagle likes this.