1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on Maintenance and Dead Engine

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Long Tran, Aug 20, 2022.

1. Long Tran

Long Tran New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. I have a 2008 Toyota Prius with roughly 200k miles. I have had no problem with it except that I had the battery rebuilt once. Recently there had been 2 times where when driving at highway speed (70MPH+) the engine gave out and I have had to pull over the side of the road and call a tow. I brought the car into the mechanics and they said that they could not find any problem with it except a loose gas cap. However my strong intuition is that it's a problem with dead cells in the battery. I would like to claim the warranty on my battery repair service. Does anyone have any information and advice on what to do in this situation?

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    The battery rebuilt once how long ago if it's been 2 years you probably have no warranty on that rebuilt battery as there shouldn't be That's a 20-year-old battery in that car now like the Duracell and your mini maglite it's about time to change it but carry on the battery has left you completely stranded That's kind of weird you should just be running on the ice engine getting about 34 mi to the gallon to be honest about it this is a Gen too right I forgot to even look at the top of the mess yeah 2008 Gen 2 now when my battery was completely shorted dead I was driving around on the ice engine doing 60-70 mi trips I wasn't running a lot of 70 mile an hour highway speeds but close

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

read your warranty, and if it is covered, call the battery rebuilder. unfortunately, most require trouble lights and codes to activate warranty service. without them, there's no proof.

that said, i don't think the battery is your problem

4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Without codes from one of the ecu's on the car, it can be difficult to pin down what's going on. Could be something like a failing fuel pump, but that's a guess. Need more data and some testing.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.