1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on Purchase of Classic

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by cybele, Apr 19, 2004.

1. cybele

cybele New Member

My mother is expressing an interest in purchasing a Classic (2001) from a friend of a friend (who is moving to Europe). The car only has 24K miles and just came out of its warranty period.

What should my mother look for when she test drives it this weekend?

I know that there were some issues with some vehicles with regard to alignment/tire wear/steering, especially for those who spend more time at freeway speeds.

Is there anything else anyone can suggest she pay careful attention to?

Take note, she's going from a V8 Chevy Caprice, so she's accustomed to loads of space, spartan amenities (AM radio) and crappy mileage.

She was feeling horribly guilty about the Caprice and wants to make up for it by getting something, if only temporarily, for her commute. She lives in Ohio but visits my brother and sister in Pennsylvania once or twice a month.

I don't think she'd be one to browse the YG, so I wanted to break it out in a brief checklist for her.

Thanks!

2. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

I'd ask the seller for copy's of the service records on the car and possibly the name of the servicing dealer and contact them and ask if there is any outstanding problems on that car. Also an inspection from the dealer if they do that and see what they say. Maybe the AMA has an inspection program as they have here in Canada, where by they will inspect the car and check the brakes and steering and give a general all over report on the condition. I do know that they won't be able to check the hybrid side and that's the reason I'd get the dealer to pull all the codes and do a detailed scan of the computer to see what all is happening with the hybrid system. With 24K miles and if it's never been smashed and the price is right, now for a Prius verses a 3-9month wait for a 2k4........ the first time you make a U-turn in a classic the wait gets even longer. just my thoughts.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a classic as well - here's a few things I'd look for:

Tires - are they original - how much wear? If not, are they XL rated (So far, only the Nokians, Bridgestone Potenzas, and Dunlop SP10's in the OE size qualify for that)? If not, are they being inflated above the factory spec to handle the load (i.e. 42/40)?

Alignment is critical, as is keeping tire pressure above recommended specs.

Even though the warranty is up, the free services should still be there unless the person went by time (6 months).

Also remember that the warranty that expired is the bumper to bumper - not the powertrain or hybrid warranties.

Check to ensure that if this vehicle was part of a steering rack recall, that the recall service had been performed.

The only other thing I'd look for is a steering rack shudder. Hopefully if the rack was replaced under recall, the new rack doesn't have this problem.

Otherwise - sounds like she could be getting a great car!

-Rick

4. Wolfman

Wolfman New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If the car is affected by the recall, but wasn't done, I wouldn't pass up the car. Recall work is free, regardless of how many people have owned it. I'd just take it in immediately, and have it done while she has the luxury of two vehicles.

5. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but it may also be indicative of how the car was cared for in general - i.e. was it properly maintained.

6. cybele

cybele New Member

Well, folks may be pleased to hear that my mother bought that used classic this weekend.

She was amazed at the copious and organized records the owners had about the car (all maintenance, mileage charts, etc.).

Her purchase couldn't come at a better time. Folks in Ohio are not as accustomed to high gas prices as we are in California.

So, now I am part of the second generation of the Prius in another sense!

7. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Will you have a chance to drive the Classic to "compare notes" so to speak?

8. cybele

cybele New Member

I wonder if she will let me drive it!

I don't expect to go back to Ohio until perhaps August, so it'll be a little while. I am curious how different it'll be now that I'm used to the '04. I only test drove the classic once back in '02 and though I liked it, the back seat was just too small for my needs.

Frankly, I have trouble driving any "old fashioned" car now. I get confused with the whole "key" thing and there's no feedback on how I'm doing!

But I expect her to be converted over to the obsession of tracking mileage and driving habits and different grades of gas!

9. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

Tell your mom to join PriusChat, and glad she got the car! one U-turn and you'll be jealous of it.

10. HTMLSpinnr

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I almost forgot about that - the classic turning radius is phenominal... I was a bit disappointed when the '04 didn't pull it as tight.

I still find the '04 "adequate" though :)

-Rick