1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on rusted out 2005 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Daniel Weiss, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Daniel Weiss

Daniel Weiss Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My beloved 2005 Prius with 197,000 miles had it's HV battery die back in August. I opted to have it replaced by Green Bean Battery because of their immediate availability and 5-year warranty (which is only valid in the car it is installed into). $1,550 later, the car was running great again.

Then I had it inspected in September, and it failed because of structural rust issues. While I knew there was some rust on the sides in front of the rear tires, I had no idea about issues on the undercarriage. Apparently, one of the main structural beams that runs the length of the car on the passenger side is rusted out. There's also a small hole under the driver's seat where something punctured the plastic undercarriage cover and then rusted out a hole in the floor.

Out of curiosity, I got a quote from a body shop that specializes in rust. They said it would be $1,900 to fix. Much more than I want to spend on it. Now I'm kicking myself for having the battery replaced. I bought my mom's 2005 Prius for now.

So objectively, what do all of you think I should do with my old Prius? Try to sell it to someone able to do the body work, with the HV battery's 5 year warranty as a selling point? Pull the refurbished battery and sell that separately, or keep it in case my current '05 has an issue in the future (battery seems to be running great right now)? After that massive repair cost, it's tough for me to be logical about how to proceed.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What part of the country do you live in.... Do you think if you had spent a fortune on regularly going to a car wash with under carriage cleaning it would of been prevented? Or are the roads too salty in winter for that to make a difference?

Anyways, if I were you, I'd try and get thru winter and at the end of next Summer pull the battery pack and sell the car to the wrecker and spend the next year finding a great deal on a Gen2 you can put that healthy new battery into once the one you bought in your replacement Gen2 goes bad. You'll need to invest in a RC car smart charger for NiMH batteries to ensure each of your 28 modules in your healthy pack doesn't deteriorate while it waits to be used in your next Gen2

3. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Take out the valuable parts if you have aplace to store them and scrap the body. Save the engine and trans, inverter, ABS unit, battery, computers, headlight position unit if you have HID headlights, headlights and taillights. A/C compressor. What am I missing guys?

4. fragglestickcar

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Find another inspection station that will pass you. Disclaimer: I am not liable for the obvious safety issue.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ask green bean if you can transfer the battery over to another car because yours is broken. They may allow it because it's such a short time since the installation

SFO likes this.
  6. Daniel Weiss

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I live in New Hampshire, so we've got very salty roads. I've had this car for 4 years, and I don't know how it was treated prior to me owning it. I don't have a garage, so I think that factors into the rust too. More frequent car washing could have helped; but I always wonder if getting the car wet from washing, then driving a few miles home on salty roads really helps or makes it worse...

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. Daniel Weiss

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Haha! Believe me, I briefly considered it. If I could just get one more year... but I've got a 2 year old son who rides with me now, so I won't take the chance on an unsafe car.

I contacted them at just about the one month point, asking if I could transfer the battery/warranty to another car, or sell it back for a partial refund. No luck. I was disappointed, but I don't blame them.

Raytheeagle, fragglestickcar and SFO like this.
  8. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... Living next door to a car wash place and having a garage seems like the way to go. :)

9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have friends and family in Dover & Raymond! Love that state I’m from Vt.

In the future you can seriously mitigate rust by spraying a grease product on the chassis. No one washes there car up there in the winter it’s a waste of time and energizes the rust and forces salty water deep into the chassis.

Great product CSP SPRAY corrosion stop prevention heavier grease no smell and stays where you spray. Hose the underside of the car down.
    Works great.

Find a garage thAt will let you under the car while they charge the oil.