1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on selling my 2008 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Susie10, Dec 4, 2022.

1. Susie10

Susie10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello all!

It's been a pleasure to read all the advice given on Prius Chat towards DIY maintenance for my Prius over the past year. You have saved me lots of money and heartache from getting ripped off from the stealership, and increased my knowledge and confidence to trying to DIY. I have read many posts, but have never posted so it's a bit sad for me that my first post is about selling my "pri-pri". I have been the original owner since March 2008 and she is my first car, but I no longer need her and could use the money.

My co-worker was interested in buying it for her son, but the oil burning is a big issue. At 180,300 miles, she burns about a quart every 1000 miles. Not good! I changed the PCV valve and some other updates, and she runs much better. But still burning oil. Also, it's the original hybrid battery, original brakes, and original combo meter (which has blinked out twice this past year). If she keeps burning oil, an engine rebuild might be necessary. And the hybrid battery will need replacing soon (no codes yet), as it runs out pretty quickly if you try to drive up to the mountains on I70 in CO. I understand why they are hesitant to buy it as a first car for their son, who may not be motivated to DIY and cannot afford to upgrade the hybrid battery and combo meter.

I looked on KBB and for private sale it ranged between 3500-5500. I asked for 4000. After reading some posts on here also asking for pricing advice, I realized that maybe I priced it too high? Because it will eventually need a hybrid battery upgrade and possibly an engine rebuild to address the oil burning, should I knock off the price it would cost for replacing those items?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

bisco likes this.
  2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Then you start getting into prices where people look at the car and go well there are a lot of generation twos out there for $4,000 that are high mileage run great don't have the oil burning problem so unless the cars and really nice condition with leather interior that's been well kept etc etc etc it's going to be really tough unless it's going to somebody that already knows the deal trying to coax some young kid who really wants a raptor truck is going to be tough to make happen usually the kid will win out some kind of way and they'll actually lose but they think they win. So you want to stay away generally from first time children and buyers and friends especially this is how you can become not friends very quickly so basically this car needs to go to somebody that somewhat understands the deal and knows the pathway that the car needs to go on. That's just how I see it anyway these are a tough sale to first-time buyers with high mileage especially because now everybody knows what we know here on Prius chat then again a lot don't but it's easy research to understand even though many don't it's not hard I wish you luck on this

Simbaboy likes this.
  3. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This is a recipe for ruining a relationship. You learned the DIY stuff and saved a lot of money, now the new owner may or may not follow suit. And a new driver can be really bad on this stuff. Like my son putting ATF in when his oil was low! So they will either be calling you for help a lot or over paying for small stuff at the dealer. Even if you disclose all the potential repairs wait till they take it in for a factory battery and display replacement. There is a high probability they will end up spending the purchase price in repairs.

On the price, IMHO you are high. Not the fun high, over priced on the value. But so are the numbers you quoted. I would say 2500 -3000 is a fair number for the car. I know there are some crazy asking prices out there. If you look on craigslist and note how many days the post has been up that is a good indicator. I bought an ugly but well maintained one with 200K miles for 3 grand this summer. It had been up for a few weeks priced at 3500 with no takers.

Simbaboy likes this.
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You have to keep in mind now that insurance companies are writing these things off and great numbers so what that means is I regularly see 90 to 150,000 mi 04 to '09 Prius little old lady cars in great shape beautiful interiors with a dent in the rear bumper or the front one and the insurance company has written the car off I just got back from one with a brand new hybrid battery brake actuator just replaced beautiful interior if the two driver side doors hadn't been sold off the car I would have bought the whole car for $600 It needed a front fender at most The frame rail was not damaged and these cars are popping up almost daily on the backs of wreckers and are on the Facebook marketplace trying to sell parts and there's no takers Good luck

5. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    KBB doesn't seem to account for "impending catastrophic failure" in it's valuing model. It detracts "X" percent for mileage but that's not the same.

Would YOU pay $4k for a 15 year old beater knowing that it likely needs $5-8k+ in repairs in the (near) future? HV battery + engine + CM (+ cat, as oil burning can/will kill it).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Tombukt2 likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    based on kbb, i'd say your price is more than fair.

i never sell used cars to people i know.

what avenues have you tried? craigs list? sign on car? ebay? facebook?

people pay way more than 4k for similar age, miles and condition every day. but you have to market it, and see what you get for offers.
    do some research and see what is out there to buy, and what they are asking

7. Susie10

Susie10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I completely agree. I have never sold a car before and after thinking about how much maintenance this car would take, a first-time kid driver would not be a good idea. Especially after reflecting on how I drove as a 16-year old and didn't even know that cars needed to change their oil. (n) hahaha

You're totally right on! I don't want to ruin my friendship with my co-worker, and this prius will need a lot of work. Your story about your son with the ATF vs oil reminded me of the time my Mom decided a few gallons of regular gas in our diesel car wouldn't hurt. It was the 80s and diesel wasn't always easy to find. Oops!

And yes, after thinking about it, I totally priced it too high. It needs those components to be a better car and last longer. If I had the money, I would invest in a lithium ion battery and get a new used engine. The KBB estimate and craigslists postings made my eyes greedy. I have to reel it in and be realistic! :)

Good point! I don't use Facebook or much social media, so I'm not very wise on these things. Appreciate the advice. I will definitely bring down the price and be more realistic!

Yes, I agree! I'm all grown-up and still learning :LOL:

I haven't actually posted it online yet because my co-worker was interested first. I was going to start on the Prius Chat for sale forum first, with the hope that a Prius loving DIYer would be interested and take good care of her. If no one was interested, then I'd delve further into the other options. I have been hesitant to try craigslist due to all the scams out there.

I will update my ad with a more appropriate price....maybe 2000? I have to run off to work now, and will need to address later tonight. Thanks again for all the advice!

#7 Susie10, Dec 5, 2022
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2022
    bisco likes this.
  8. Susie10

Susie10 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the advice! At this point, I'm ready to move on and list it. I have gotten rather busy at work and haven't had time, but finally got around to taking some pictures and will write up a post for the sale forum tonight. I haven't driven it consistently lately and noticed that it's taking an awfully long time to warm up in the cold morning and the ICE is running a lot with white smoke coming out of the exhaust :eek: After she is warmed up and driven around, the smoke doesn't come out, but it takes awhile for the ICE to stop and the EV mode doesn't kick in for long at all. Not good signs! I hope someone more handy can revive her spirit because I feel like she has potential for longevity :love:

9. alftoy

alftoy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I think it is normal for the battery to run out quickly, as you say, when driving up a mountain. So not sure that it is indicative of the state of the battery. Other more experienced Colorado mountain residents may chime in.

Oil burning, maybe try a piston soak. A more user friendly kit for combustion chamber cleaning try
    Berryman Intake Valve & Combustion Cleaner
    Berryman® Intake Valve & Combustion Cleaner - Berryman Products

Available at any O'Reilly Auto Parts for $32, inexpensive and not as involved as a piston soak.
    https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/berryman/berryman-intake-valve-and-combustion-chamber-cleaner/bry0/2611?brand=true&pos=9

Some piston soak links:
    https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/threads/2007-prius-piston-soak.320599/

200k 2009 Prius with oil burning at 1qt for 1000 miles highway and less burning in stop and go. | PriusChat

10. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    You start at $3500 to allow negotiation. Take $2500-$3000 cash. Meet in a public place and require they show you their current insurance. Phone number and email verified. Take a photo of the insurance and their drivers license.

Create a Bill of Sale and make two copies, both signed, one for each party.

In Texas we sign the back of the current Title and a Title Application form. We have an online transfer form that gets you off the hook if they have an accident before registering it. Check into what is needed in your state. You want all the paperwork signed at the time of sale.

Realize there will be flippers who will slightly fix it and resell without registering in their name. Also people who want the catalytic converter and just want to find out where the car is being left unattended.

Attached Files:

#10 rjparker, Dec 9, 2022
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2022