1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on Timing Chain Cover leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So I took my grey girl in for an oil change and the once over at the dealer. I was told that the cover to my timing chain is leaking. However, it is not leaking bad enough for it to get to the ground. They want $1300 to I guess install a new gasket. I know it involves taking a number of items off the engine to get to the cover. My customer service rep said they even could get the price down to $1100.00. Is this something that is seen often? I will be moving soon to the Pacific Northwest...and the car will go through more drastic temperature changes than here in San Diego. So if there is a leak it will be much worse there. Can anyone advise on this issue?

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can't say I read about this often on the gen3 cars, you hear it more often on the Gen2 cars as they get up in mileage. $1100 buys a lot of oil, if you were to simply add to the engine as needed. I personally would not fix it unless it's leaking a small puddle in your driveway every week. I think the mechanic just saw a little "oil residue" and now calling it a leak.

Montgomery likes this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I've heard about this before, and I remember seeing a thread about it.

If I recall correctly, resealing the timing cover requires pulling the engine on this car, so the price he quoted you may be subsidized by goodwill assistance.

4. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    <<Thinking out loud here>>
    If the chain itself is not at risk,
    Then the only question becomes: how big a leak ?

Is oil being lost between oil changes by dipstick check ?

5. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It might be worthwhile to try changing to a high-mileage engine oil (Valvoline Max-Life, for one example) that has a small amount of seal conditioners in it. People have switched oils and reported success.

6. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Right now I am running synthetic and I have no idea if it has seal conditioners as part of its properties.

7. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nope no oil is being lost at all.

8. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  9. MattNiem

MattNiem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Leak must be almost non-existent if there's no oil stains on the parking spot. I wouldn't pay 1100 usd for that.

10. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I wanted to thank you all for your expert advice. I am not going to spend the $1300.00 dollars out of pocket to have it fixed. However, I was looking through my paperwork from when I purchased the car...and low and behold my little grey girl....has a warranty on the power train which is good until 2016/100,000 miles.....Whoop whoop...I am taking her to the dealer to have it fixed.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Nice!
    I wondered about that; apologies for not saying something

12. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One of the posts at this link does hint that a bad PCV may contribute to that leak. If you haven't had a PCV put in lately, you might consider that as good preventive maintenance. It's a cheap part, but a little involved to replace. It can be DIY if you have the tools and the time. And while you're in there, you can clean the throttle body and MAF and replace the air filter. There are posts on this.

13. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just got all the things I need to clean the throttle body. Just waiting for the cleaner to come via Brown. I just got a new cabin filter that I am going to install today. I will see about the PCV and order a new air filter if needed. Thanks for your help.

14. Yakoma

Yakoma Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get some MAF cleaner, too. Not the same stuff as throttle body cleaner.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's not a good sign that the dealership didn't alert you to the powertrain warranty; they should know. Let 'em know about it.

Threej likes this.
  16. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad this post is only 26 minutes old.

You may want to reconsider taking your girl to the same dealership that tried to gig you for $1300 for an alleged leaky timing chain cover gasket.
    I'm down with the whole living wage thing, and I don't have a problem with a competent mechanic charging fair shop rates for a (NECESSARY!!) repair job, but I would at least get a second opinion on this repair.
    There is a labor and parts rate that the dealership is reimbursed by the OEM for warranty work. If they're not willing to share that value with you, that's OK but it can also be an indicator that some mechanic is trying to get you to make his or her boat payment.
    It's usually a 'him' since women are usually smart enough not to buy boats.
    Stereotypes exist for a reason.
    Sometimes those reasons are fair.
    So....
    Sometimes, these warranty rates are a little unfair to the mechanic who is generally paid by the number of billable hours worth of work that they crank out, plus or minus a base rate.

Let's say this job pays 4 hours of labor and requires $50 worth of parts.
    It's probably closer to 2/25, but even if the labor rate is $200 per hour ($125 is probably a closer average---with a 0.5 hour minimum) they're going to charge you five hours of labor and $300 worth of parts for a leak that's not severe enough for YOU to detect????

It's your call, but I'd take a pass on letting them profit even by the more humble warranty repair rates.

One more thing......if they have to take off 125 gizzywoppers, thingamajigs, and doo-hickeys to get to the chain cover, then there are 125 opportunities for them to over or under torque a fastener, stress a wire bundle, lose a part, or cause another leak, creak, crack, or squeak.

Have somebody show you the leak, and explain why it's important to get it fixed.
    To paraphrase from the submariner's rule of leaks - if you find IT, it's not serious. ;)

Good Luck!

#16 ETC(SS), Feb 26, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was thinking that too. Maybe they can note it in a file, just monitor it, and fix it (still gratis) if and when it gets worse?

18. kc410

kc410 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Whats the chance the real problem is a very small seepage from the oil pressure switch?
    A quick look puts the oil pressure switch in the proper location, on the firewall side of the engine & on the pass. side of vehicle.

jjPrius likes this.
  19. Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My SO and I looked at the issue and what it looks like is just a small stain on the cover. I agree with ETC(SS) about the issue with all the parts that need to be removed and then replaced. I am going to see if I can take it to a local shop and get it put up on a rack so we can get a better look at it. I am leaning more towards clean it up and just watch it.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. jjPrius

jjPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If it is a small stain on the lower / mid rear edge of the front timing cover, I would bet that kc410 is correct. Mine is leaking at 113K and I will be changing out at the next service.