1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on Timing Chain Cover leak

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dr. Katherine Nell McNeil, Feb 25, 2015.

1. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This would be a common leak in the timing cover, most have just ignored it. My 2010 had this leak around 80k miles and it burns a little oil. I don't think the seepage is bad and combined with the oil burning.....it's taken care of when I top off my oil every few thousand miles.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There's a seal at the end of the crankshaft, and also, a lot of "fence line" around the perimeter of the timing chain cover, sealed with form-in-place gasket which has proven prone to leaking.

I think you need to see for yourself. Jack up the front passenger corner (or the whole front end, if you have a floor jack), remove the wheel, remove the 2~3 plastic fasteners readily accessible on the plastic panel at the back wall of the wheel well, flex back the plastic, and have a look. You should be able both the source and severity of oil leakage.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    upload_2020-2-9_7-17-56.png

Yeah something happening there, doesn't seem too extensive though.

Might be the timing chain cover, or just that component right there? Is that the oil pressure sensor? There have been reports of that leaking. See attachment for more info. There's a proprietary thread sealant mentioned, but I think you could sub Permatex 24300.

I think step one: clean the area thoroughly, and monitor, watch where the leak is starting.

Attached Files:

#43 Mendel Leisk, Feb 9, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2020
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  4. Jeanlucbr

Jeanlucbr New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Thanks everyone for your advice!

Mendel Leisk likes this.