1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice on totaled Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius07mv, Nov 4, 2019.

1. prius07mv

prius07mv New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi everyone,

Just to preface everything, I'm not a car or Prius expert at all, I just found this community and I wanted to get some advice from the smart folks here. I tried searching on the forums but I didn't find anything specific to my situation.

I was a victim of a hit and run a few weeks ago and I'm looking for advice on how I should proceed.

Background on the car
    • 2007 Prius, ~141k miles, was running perfectly, well maintained.
    • I bought it as second owner for $5500 at ~128k in Jan 2018.
    Current condition
    • Significant damage to driver door and fender, missing driver side mirror, but still runs.
    • We sent pictures to a few mechanics and one got back to us quoting $5300 for repairs (based on pictures alone)
    Insurance situation
    • GEICO minimum state-required insurance (liability only, no uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage), so they won't help out with the damages. They determined I was not at fault for the accident though.
    • They're unable to find the perpetrators' insurance info
    • Oakland police and DMV are unable to help track down the person's insurance as well
    I'm considering a few options, but I don't know how to decide
    • Sell it on Peddle (they offered a $1100 check and would tow it away)
    • Try to sell it on Craigslist (though I don't know how I would price it)
    • Pay the ~$5k to repair the car

What would you all do if you were in my position? Any help, thoughts, and advice would be really appreciated!

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have any pictures you could share?

Does the vehicle still track straight?

prius07mv likes this.
  3. prius07mv

prius07mv New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! I uploaded a few pics. It still drives straight, but I’ve only tested it in our apt parking lot at low speeds.

I should also mention the 12V battery was replaced Jan 2018 for more context.

Attached Files:

SFO likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can drive it, i'd take it to a few body shops and just get the drivers door working properly, assuming there aren't any other serious problems, and just drive it like that. i still have duck tape holding my bumper together

prius07mv and SFO like this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Start shopping for a used door with mirror and used front left fender... Buying those on your own will save you a ton of money. The main cost is that once you get the door and the fender off is straightening up frame parts that the replacement body parts mount to. If you have enough skills with a socket wrench and a pry bar and you take the fender and door off yourself then bring it into a body shop and ask them to straighten the frame parts enough to get the fender and door put on, you might be able to get the labor charge down to the $1K range if you find a middle of no-where body shop outside the SF Bay Area to tow the car to.

prius07mv likes this.