1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice re: traction battery failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by huntergirlnc21, Mar 7, 2014.

1. huntergirlnc21

huntergirlnc21 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Well...my 05's traction battery finally bit the dust after 9 years and a hair over 175k miles. It was a good ride and I'm sad to see it end. :( Buying a new battery is not an option and we are having trouble finding a salvage battery or anyone to put it in, within our budget.

My question is this - has anyone sold their Prius for salvage with just the battery issue? Is there any market for a prius with just the shot battery? Mechanically it is fine otherwise. I just don't want it to keep sitting in the driveway but kind of at a loss as to the next step. Thanks in advance for the advice ::)

2. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If there's nothing else wrong with it except the traction battery and you're facing budget constraints, you need to be creative and contact hybrid battery rebuilders in your area to see if they're interested in buying your car as is. I would think you should be able to get at least $3000 for it even with a bad traction battery - if that's all that's wrong with it. The battery rebuilder could probably sell it with a remanufactured battery for $5000 to $6000 and make a little money on it.

You're still probably better off at borrowing a little and getting a replacement traction battery installed for about $1500. Your Prius should last at least another 50K miles with the replacement.​

huntergirlnc21 and Data Daedalus like this.
  4. huntergirlnc21

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks :) borrowing is not an option so I will search for a rebuilder. A quick search doesn't turn up any in this area but perhaps I can find someone within 100 miles or so).

5. huntergirlnc21

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks :) borrowing is not an option so I will search for a rebuilder. A quick search doesn't turn up any in this area but perhaps I can find someone within 100 miles or so.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

List it on Craigslist, state on there it needs a new battery. Someone will answer the ad. I would start at $4500 and let them talk you down.......

7. huntergirlnc21

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anyone know if there is a rebuilder in the Raleigh/Durham, NC area?

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

If you are trying to get the highest dollar for your car, looking for a re-builder to buy it isn't going to get that result. The Rebuilder has to resell at a profit, therefore will lowball you on the price. You should list it on craigslist and allow a DIY person to purchase it and use it.

huntergirlnc21 likes this.
  9. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
  10. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Taylor Automotive in Sanford might be interested in buying your car.

919 774 4037

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I'm curious OP, if you do sell your car -- what then ?

12. huntergirlnc21

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Share a vehicle with my husband. We actually have another vehicle but it's less than reliable. Sucks but buying anything right now is off the table. Going back to school puts you on a tight budget :)

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II

If you have a less than reliable vehicle, you can sell that to pay for a battery for the Prius. The Prius should be more reliable and save you $$$ in the long run. You said the Prius has been running fine, why sell it?

14. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Meaning you have 3 cars ?

If true perhaps you can sell the 3rd one. That should be a big chunk of the battery repair.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Heck, sell all your cars except the Prius. That way you can downsize your petrol and insurance bills too.

16. huntergirlnc21

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We still owe on the other vehicle. It is basically worth less than the dysfunctional Prius. It needs a new transmission and brakes. It also has water damage inside from a leaking sunroof that no one could ever seem to fix. Selling it might cover the rest of the loan...nothing more. Believe me, the other half and I have gone over every scenario to fix this and we come up short. Selling the Prius and sharing our one semi-reliable vehicle is the only plausible solution. Hopefully from the sale we can buy a beater or save it until we can buy another Prius after I graduate.

17. huntergirlnc21

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

18. huntergirlnc21

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, 3 cars. One was a gift to my husband that he will not sell (the most reliable of the 3 and his dream vehicle :p), the water damaged/bad transmission one that we still owe on. And the Prius.

19. jadziasman

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you can get a remanufactured traction battery for $1800, you have a VERY reliable beater - the Prius. Find a way to get the money and keep the Prius - which BTW has just become my beater - I bought a brand new car three weeks ago which will inevitably replace Yoda entirely some day (I hope).

20. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    huntergirlnc21,

You may find you can disconnect the 12 volt battery for a minute or so, then connect it back up. That might clear the codes and allow you to drive it some more.

If the traction battery is indeed failing, it will code again once the battery gets a good work out, but they have been known to be nursed a little bit. I have read of folks driving them to places to get the batteries swapped and travelling a fairly lengthy distance doing what I described above.

I DO NOT advise you to try to drive the Prius when the red triangle lights up and the other lights as it could cause other problems. But you might be able to clear the codes at least a few times to get some more use out of it.

I know money is tight for you two, but seriously I would drive it down to Sanford, NC and let Taylor swap the battery for you. Use a credit card if you have to. You would be better off fixing the Prius than having to rely on one car for the two of you. What are you going to do if the one car breaks down...

Best of luck to you. I know how it is when you have to pinch pennies. Been doing it for a long time now. Even more fun when you are disabled and living off of disability checks. ;)