1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advice Request: Selling a 2007 Prius with Bad HV Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Medium Pace, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Medium Pace

Medium Pace New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hi everyone; I'm a long time lurker but have never posted / replied until now. I know this is a fairly common thread but would really appreciate some custom advice and share the price quotes I received as of March 2017.

I own a 2007 and a 2010 Prius and live in the Orlando area in Florida. My 2007 has almost 160,000 miles and still has the original brakes. Yesterday the 2007 Prius got the dreaded string of dashboard lights (VSC, Check Engine, etc...) so I had it towed to the local dealership. They told me the HV battery was showing as bad which explains some of the performance issues my wife had noticed over the past month or two. The cost to replace this battery at dealer would be $3550 and would come with a 36,000 mile / 1 year warranty.

I did some research here and called around to other dealerships and mechanics. Basically, the $3550 was the lowest in the Orlando area. The other Toyota dealership quoted $4474 and the other trusted mechanics told me not to bother but it would be $5000 / $4000 if I really wanted to have them do it. Considering I've literally never done anything besides oil changes, 1 tune-up, and 2 pairs of tires, I expect this may be the tip of a mechanical iceberg . Based on the advice I read on similar threads, I feel like I got 10 solid, wonderfully maintenance-free, years out of this car so I feel fortunate. This is what "running-it-into-the-ground" feels like.

So... I'm having the car towed back to my house and my plan is to sell it, probably on Craigslist and Offer Up. Any other venues I should consider? What amount should I expect to get out of it ? Any other advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. TWOPrius

TWOPrius Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Contact Tampa Hybrids.com. north Tampa. These folks so nothing but Prius and Leaf repairs and sales. Nicest folks in the auto business.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Medium Pace likes this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car still has fairly low mileage, I would contact Toyota corporate and ask them for a Goodwill warranty on your battery replacement. It may be affordable enough for you to keep the car.

4. Medium Pace

Medium Pace New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I mean, I'm like 60,000 miles outside of warranty for hybrid system (100K). I guess it can't hurt but seems like a major long shot.

5. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The worse answer would be no....but Toyota has been really helpful lately, even if they pay for half, it'll be around $1500 or less

6. Medium Pace

Medium Pace New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Thanks for the suggestion! It's always best to try, at least