1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advise on replacement Catalytic converter, P0420 code

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by ttou68, Apr 17, 2022.

1. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi all, I'm in a non CARB state, and about to acquired a 2010 Prius with solar roof, leather and GPS from a friend of mine who doesn't want to repair it after showing signs of leaking head gasket.

Current fault codes are P0420, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0304..

Advise need from anyone have experienc/or knowledge with after market catalytic converters...
    I would like to know my options with replacement parts currently available, and planning on replacing it if needed while I replace the head gasket...

Thank you in advance!

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#1 ttou68, Apr 17, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
  2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    If your not in a CARB state, you can hang anything that passes federal smog regulations; which is pretty much anything in rockauto and amazon inventory. But excessive oil burn can also throw a P0420 code. Once that sensor gets coated with oil, it's going to mess with your fuel mixture. I would start at that upstream sensor, before ripping it apart.

While you got it apart drop the EGR cooler in a bucket of carbon, degreaser and clean out the EGR pathways.

ttou68 likes this.
  3. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you, I'm not in a CARB state...

So, anything that's available on the market will work?
    I'm trying to match up as close to factory as possible for long term use..

EGR circuits have been cleaned along with new spark plugs about a year ago, it doesn't seem to burn much oil but I'll definitely check the sensors before making the decision on replacing catalytic converter..

Thank you for the info!

4. prius16

prius16 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Do you have emissions inspections?
    If so, you may be in a State that requires CARB compliance. How much, how closely they check will vary.

Note, it takes a good amount of testing and money to get CARB approval. So, many top brands, like Walker, will be as good as factory, but will be ~50%-100% cheaper, because they haven't spend that time or money (that then has to be passed on to the consumer).

For a cat that will last as long as factory, go with Walker:

2010 TOYOTA PRIUS 1.8L L4 ELECTRIC/GAS Catalytic Converter | RockAuto
    Check how much for S&H to your location.
    Rockauto charges S&H based on actual shipping costs, from the warehouse.

From Amazon:
    Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Walker-16649-Converter/dp/B0181H2XC6/
    Walker Exhaust Ultra EPA 16649 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter
    w/ Heat Recycle System
    $648.31
    EPA COMPLIANT -- For use on OBDII vehicles, 1996 and newer. Not legal for sale or use in CA & CO. Legal in NY & ME on EPA Federal Emission Equipped Vehicles only. Consult your state's aftermarket converter regulations for details.
    DIRECT-FIT DESIGN -- Direct-fit bolt-on replacement solution with OE-style hangers, brackets, routings and heat shields for easy installation that doesn't require specialized fabrication and/or welding

Code:
    https://www.amazon.com/Walker-Exhaust-54848-Tailpipes/dp/B01KGCO2VE
    Walker Exhaust Ultra EPA 54848 Direct Fit Catalytic Converter
    w/o Heat Recycle System
    Brand: Walker
    $808.07
    EPA COMPLIANT -- For use on OBDII vehicles, 1996 and newer. Not legal for sale or use in CA & CO. Legal in NY & ME on EPA Federal Emission Equipped Vehicles only. Consult your state's aftermarket converter regulations for details.
    DIRECT-FIT DESIGN -- Direct-fit bolt-on replacement solution with OE-style hangers, brackets, routings and heat shields for easy installation that doesn't require specialized fabrication and/or welding

Note, I'm not sure if your car has the heat recycling system or not.

Good Luck!

ttou68 likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I was pretty curious why the without the heat recycle one is more money than the with heat recycle one. So I looked at the pictures....

By "direct fit", they seem to only mean the front connection, to the manifold. At the other end, you have to cut the original exhaust and join at the cut.

For the with heat recycle one, you have to make the cut ahead of your original heat recycler and sub muffler. The Walker thing is only the two cats.

For the without heat recycle one, you cut after your sub muffler. The Walker thing is both cats and a sub muffler.

Huh.

ttou68 likes this.
  6. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you!
    No emission test in my state. Those are great options, I'll inquire with the manufacturers on product specifics...

7. ttou68

ttou68 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm curious as well, the one without come with resonator hence the price difference?

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right. The one for "with heat recycle" does not come "with" a heat recycler, so you have to reuse your old heat recycler and your old sub muffler.

ttou68 likes this.