1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Advise please maint at 142k miles

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jim Caldwell, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Jim Caldwell

Jim Caldwell Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I bought this 2014 Prius at 137k mi and now its at 142kmi. It was from a dealership, i did not get any info on what maint the former owner did. Have to assume nothing has been done. I should be able to find an automotive shop other than a dealership that can do all maint needed. So i know it needs entire intake and egr systems cleaned. Would like to put in double platinum plugs, and change trans fluid. I just did the oil change myself. The engine, i think, has a lifetime chain, right? Is there anything else i should do? And any idea how much is a fair price for plugs, intake, and egr tasks?

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you can DIY the oil change, you can manage the EGR and Intake cleaning. And the spark plugs*. Definitely watch @NutzAboutBolts videos (see link).

more info:

Bad Flywheel | PriusChat

what else? Brakes, a full inspection, with lift off the calipers, cleaning and relube. You do need to be careful; the Prius has some significant brake gotchas. More info avail if you’re considering DIY of brakes.

and BTW: you can download PDF of owners manual and the Warranty and MAINTENANCE Booklet. One source is at Toyota Tech Info.

*Just my 2 cents: stick with stock plug. There WAS a revision by Toyota, to a slightly hotter plug, dealerships should know

#2 Mendel Leisk, Apr 7, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  3. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I wouldn't worry about mechanical brakes, the car barely uses them.

Also engine is designed for a specific type of iridium spark plugs.

Depending on mechanic doing those and cleaning intake, EGR and mass air flow sensor can cost between $200-$700. But it's not much harder than oil change, so save your money and do it yourself...

4. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First, here is the maintenance schedule for the US, I am not sure where Mathis is.
    https://www.toyota.com/t3Portal/document/omms-s/T-MMS-14Prius/pdf/2014_Toyota_Prius_WMG_lr.pdf

If it was me, I would look at 90,000 100,000 and 120,000 and if you can't prove the extra items were done, do them. If the previous owner used the dealer, you should find all it's maintenance history on this site when you enter the VIN.
    Welcome to Toyota Owners

In addition to what Toyota recommends, I would have the transaxle drained and refilled with ATF WS. (If you do this, about $40 in parts, if the dealer does it, somewhere near $100) I would clean the EGR system, not sure on pricing. Brake fluid varies by the humidity, you change it more often in Miami than in Phoenix, and I do not know where Mathis is.

As Mendel Leisk says, youtube is your friend. Even if you use the dealer, you know what they should be doing.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On the brake fluid, Toyota USA has no change recommendation, an Toyota Canada says tri-yearly or 48k kms (~30k miles), whichever comes first.

@NutzAboutBolts has a video on brake fluid change too.

I’ve managed this myself a couple of times now, using just a short length of tubing with a bleed bolt attachment, a large mayo jar with hole drilled in lid, and a large syringe with tubing and a slim spigot pushed on the end (for basting out the reservoir at the start).

I pretty much followed the video, except used the order proscribed in repair manual:

front right
    Front left
    Rear left
    Rear right

I used 2 pints of Toyota DOT3 fluid, aiming to:

do a decent amount at each corner, albeit more at the rears.

end up with level in reservoir as it was at the outset, and an ounce or two in reserve. Then monitor for a week or two, top up only if needed to achieve orig level, then recycle any leftover fluid (it doesn’t store well).

6. sLick415

sLick415 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can login to Toyota website (or app) and pull the service history for your vehicle. Of course this'll only show service performed by Toyota.

You're due for a coolant change, both engine and inverter. That'd be the perfect time to clean the EGR system, intake, throttle body, MAP sensor, replace PCV valve, and perhaps install a catch can.

Personally, I'd do a full brake service. A thorough cleaning and relube and fluid change. But as mentioned already, the car barely uses them if you're driving conservatively. I wouldn't prioritize this over your EGR system.

Trans fluid: I have seen talks on here before about leaving it alone if the fluid has never been changed by X amount of miles. Not sure if that's still the general consensus.

Spark plugs are one of the easier tasks on this list. I wouldn't pay anyone to do it.

Other small items: replace engine and cabin air filters, clean MAF sensor

Out of this entire list, the only thing I would ever consider getting done at a shop would be the EGR system. It's a PIA to get to. And good luck trying to clean it if you don't have a pressure washer. I have never appreciated mine so much until I cleaned the EGR.

7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    unbelievable that the car lasted 137k w/o any maintenance.

8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah this is one neglected issue: Toyota dealership service is not the only option, but pretty much the only one that’ll reliably show up on the Toyota service record. It’d be a nice gesture if they would allow owner input, transferable and permanent. Obviously you’d need to read it with scepticism, but nevertheless. Also, service departments tend to enter the service info in a language barely intelligible to themselves...

9. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    There are other automatic transmissions that there is a real reason to worry, but not the Prius.
    It has no bands or clutches and there is no hydraulic logic valve body to clog, so it is always safe to drain and fill (not flush) the ATF WS.

starting with 4:50

Raytheeagle and sLick415 like this.
  10. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I would at least inspect brakes even if you don’t suspect it is necessary. I just bought my 2010 a couple months ago. Brakes looked good but took them off to inspect. Whoever put the pads in last put one in crooked so it looked like this. | \

It was wore down to the backing pad on the top and brand new on the bottom! Got to it just before it started touching the rotor.

Grit and ASRDogman like this.
  11. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Please report back the quote on cleaning the EGR.

Anyone know, in theory, why the brake fluid is recommended to be changed in Canada but not in the US?

12. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    i do that all the time here.

13. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    wallet flush.

14. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, always inspect everything... But in terms of general maintenance, brakes are the least of your worries.

15. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe it's not as humid during the summer further north?
    Brake fluid obsorbs moisture, if you change it every 2 years, the moisture won't get to the expensive
    parts and damage them. :)

16. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Yes, safe to drain and fill but for the same reasons (no bands, clutches, hydraulic logic valve body) maybe not necessary. It is inexpensive to do, so your choice.

17. JimboPalmer

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    No lubricant is forever, changing every 100,000 miles is not a bad idea.

18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was that on the rear brakes...?

19. AW82

AW82 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might give you some peace of mind to buy a Carfax report, even though it might not include everything.

20. Team_Geek

Team_Geek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yep rear driver side. Pads were stuck in the carrier had to smack them out with a hammer.