1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

AEB in reverse. Which trim level?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by Frank D, May 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Frank D

Frank D New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I can't believe I can't find this, but I did my homework, so now I'll ask here. I saw a video on Youtube of someone testing their Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) in reverse.
    with users comments saying theirs did not have the feature. On the Toyota website it says all Prime models have the same safety features, so which is it? Do all Primes have reverse AEB or only the limited?

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just to be clear, there are two separate systems at play here.

Toyota Safety Sense which includes the Pre-Collision System (AEB) is standard on all Primes. This is what most people are referring to when they say AEB for any vehicle - that is, the forward facing radar that can brake and slow the vehicle down prior to collision (or avoid a collision if the speed is low enough and the system is advanced enough). This system works at higher speeds (above 10-16mph up to way past normal highway speeds. Note that the “brings the vehicle to a complete stop” only works up to 25mph. Beyond that, you’ll still hit the car but at a reduced speed)

The other system that you are asking is for low speed collision avoidance. This one doesn’t really have a set name and each manufacturer uses their own marketing name (like CitySafe or Low Speed Collision Avoidance). Toyota calls it “Intelligent Clearance Sonar”. This system uses 12 ultrasonic sonar sensors around the car to detect objects and alert the driver of their presence. In some cases, it will brake the car to prevent collision. This system works going forward or backwards. ICS is only available on the Limited trim level.

pghyndman and schja01 like this.