1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Affordable, licensed OEM Prius manual on CD

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Brian in Tucson, May 24, 2019.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I ran into a manual for my hylander on Rockauto. Here's the exact description for the one for the gen 1. DAVE GRAHAM 01TPRIC 2001-2003 Toyota Prius Repair Manual CD

It's a licensed copy on a disk. The one I got for the Highlander is incredible quality, includes all the chapters and appears to be the Factory Service manual. Price was $20.79 plus shipping, minus the discount. A darn handy addition to a gearheads library!

And it's not copyright infringement!

Itsmeonprius and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    How extremely curious ....

They claim to be selling a "Dave Graham auto literature" CD of the Toyota shop manuals.

"Dave Graham Auto Literature, Inc." is a real, existing outfit.

They have a catalog for download. (262 MB! They should offer the catalog on a freakin' CD.)

The catalog doesn't include any Toyota literature, or say anything about a license agreement with Toyota:

dgal.png

But it's a 2014 catalog.They don't seem super-obsessive about updating their web site. So maybe they've added Toyota as a licensor since then?

Or maybe somebody is distributing bootlegs and "borrowing" Dave Graham's name to look legit.

There's an email address for Dave Graham Auto in the catalog. Maybe I'll email them with a link to this thread, see what they have to say.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, do that. For one thing, I couldn't find a copyright page. But the quality, the print, and the images of the pages suggest that they are from an original source, no sign that they are photo copies.

Let us know if you find anything out. It really is a wonderful quality product, the various manuals (different ones for each year) are indexed in Acrobat subject chapter by chapter. I have the paper manuals for the 02 year prius, these are as good or better than those. And they are readable on my Ipad.

I don't believe that Rockauto would distribute bootleg manuals, btw. They seem to guard their reputation pretty carefully.

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Downloading from TIS would accomplish that....

I did email Dave Graham. We'll see if he has anything to say. Long weekend....

And RockAuto doesn't seem to be the only retailer that shows up with "Dave Graham" Toyota manuals. I'm intrigued by the story, whichever way it turns out.