1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Afraid to Admit I made a mistake with Misty Grey

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dsviv, Jun 26, 2009.

1. blueumbrella

blueumbrella Member of Prius Regeneration

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think there is enough evidence in these posts to support a number of you to either begin taking or to increase your medications.

2. Welshdog

Welshdog Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yeah wifey does that too. Weirdly she does it in HER car when I am driving it and she doesn't notice the scuffs! We just ordered a IV Winter Gray Metallic with Misty Grey leather. Since the paint is fairly dark I wanted an interior that contrasted from it. The Misty Grey doesn't seem to be any lighter than the tan in her old Subaru (which will now become my car). I was able to keep the plastic surfaces fairly clean in the Sube and I think the leather should be simple to care for in the Prius. And considering that it has been over 100 degrees here in Austin for a month, I'll take a lighter interior.

3. chrisgiles

chrisgiles New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My wife's previous RX400h had that same light grey interior color. It was never my favorite interior color, however it was MUCH better than the cream colored leather that I had on my last car, a 2003 LS430.

I, personally, wouldn't get rid of the car...I'd just learn to live with it. But that's just me...

4. HoosierGal

HoosierGal New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I agree, we haven't even gotten into our car yet (it just arrived at the dealer) and I can already see an elbow print on my bisque interior.

5. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Sounds like some of you are trying to get away from properly cleaning the leather by going with darker color. Dirt and oil is extremely detrimental to leather.

Go with the color you like, whether it's bisque, misty gray or dark gray, regardless of how dirty it gets because the leather needs to be cleaned periodically anyway or you'll harm it in the long run. I've seen some black leather with nasty wear because the owner didn't clean and condition it properly.

6. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    That was what I was trying to say initially... out of sight, out of mind. When I see my own car's kick panels and lighter areas start to look edgy/dirty, I know it's time...

7. DanceFam

DanceFam New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'd say don't worry. I actually ordered the dark grey interior but the dealer made a mistake and it came with the light grey (cloth) interior. At first I was shocked and thought about not accepting the car (even though I had been waiting 2 months). But the more I looked at it the more I liked it. The 2-tone is very attractive, I think, and the car generally looks much more "grown up" and fancier than the dark grey interior, in my opinion. To me, the dark grey makes the whole interior look like one color and is not nearly as interesting to look at. Plus, to me the dark grey interior looks "cheaper" somehow. Plasticky, kind of. Anyway, I am going to have the dealer install their "Propak" interior (and exterior) protection package (at their expense, since they made the mistake). The dealer's co-owner also put me at ease when she explained to me that she has a light grey interior with the propak package and her toddler daughter drew with a sharpie pen all over the back seat, but she was able to remove it all, no problem.

So, now that you've had your car for a few months, how are you feeling now?

8. nmrickie

nmrickie Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    I've never been a big fan of silver, but it looks gorgeous with the misty grey! What a great combination!

9. jburns

jburns Senior Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
    Your gonna kill me but it will be much cheaper to go to a few therapy sessions than to trade your car. :)

10. Old Bald Guy

Old Bald Guy Old Bald Guy

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have to ask ... just what are you doing to get a new interior messed up in 4 days/105 miles? Have you got kids with muddy feet climbing all over it or what? Also, doesn't your husband know you bought a Prius? Your comment seems to indicate that perhaps he doesn't.

We had a Gen II for voer 20,000 miles and the only problem we had with the upholstery was from being sloppy while eating in the car. Our new Gen III ... with the Gray leather ... already has over 3000 miles in 6 weeks ... and not even a hint of a scuff or stain. The leather is easier to keep clean ... it just wipes off if you spill something on it.

11. dsviv

dsviv Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    After treating every surface with some sort of protectant, I'm handling the light color better.

I haven't had any food on the car, but did transport a covered drink to work, but I waited until I got to work to drink it.

This is my first car with leather and I'm loving it. Old Bald Guy, you are so right about how easy it is to wipe off the leather. I just can't wait to use the butt warmers this winter.

12. dvdirv

dvdirv Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Like others have suggested, go to an aftermarket dealer and install leather.

This is the first thing I did with my Prius after I took delivery. Cost was $1199 and I had my choice of type of leather and shade. (There were about 12 different shades of gray from light to dark).

Ask your dealer where they take their cars for adding leather. You wouldn't be able to tell that your seats were not a factory job.

Don't stew. Turn your negative into a positive! :)

13. MAPC

MAPC New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

DANCEFAM is 100% on point. I have never liked light gray interiors. I had them in three BMW's- a 328ic, 335xi, an a 540i. All of them were because it was the only color I could get at the price and/or equipment combination. Every time I told myself it was OK and every time I continued to lust after other colors when I saw them on the road. No surprise---I didn't keep any of the cars very long.

THE DIFFERENCE HERE: I thought I wanted any color BUT Misty Gray. When I saw the Dark Gray, I hated it. Just as Dancefam said, the monotone look appeared very cheap and bland to me where the Misty Gray with the Dark Gray contrasts looked MUCH higher end. The black panesl on the door, the upper dash, the steering wheel and the mats all really create a pleasant and upscale interior.

I am 100% happy with mine since I bought it and have ZERO buyers' remorse.

14. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm glad you seem to be handling it better now. I love the misty grey interior, especially because I have a dark exterior -- I prefer the contrast between the exterior and interior. I am not a super clean/neat person, but I like my car to look clean and really don't feel that this will show dirt any more than any other color. I don't eat or drink in the car so there should really be no reason why it would get dirty.

15. LoraJ

LoraJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Haha! I am looking forward to that too.
    In the mid-90's I went on a date with some guy who had a BMW and he was trying to impress me with it. He turned on the butt warmers and was like "do you feel that?" and I said "feel what?" I don't think it was that cold outside for me to really notice. He also hit something on the car and a female computer voice either gave the time or temperature. I giggled and said "does it give sports scores too?" He did not like my joke. We never went out again. I guess I wasn't impressed enough with his car.

16. gil

gil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    dsviv:

I have an 07 Camry Hybrid with the Misty Gray interior and it is not at all difficult to keep clean. Just get a bottle of Lexol or other good leather cleaner and use it. My Camry is now 3 years old and still looks great. Our 10 Prius with the dark gray interior shows just as much dirt, just of the lighter variety. So, I suspect with your anal tendencies, you would be obsessing over the dirt in any color interior. I like the lighter color also as it is cooler in the summer than the dark colors. Give it a few weeks and don't do anything rash, the remorse will soon fade away, and the first ding will give you something else to obsess over.....

To the other posters whose wife or significant others put their feet up on the dash while riding, please tell them not to. Just think for a minute what would happen to their feet if the unthinkable happens and the airbag blows. Their feet will be crushed against, or worse blown through the windshield. I can't believe how many women I see doing this (usually barefooted as well) apparently unaware of what can happen when an airbag blows.

17. dsviv

dsviv Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    gil, how right you are. You don't even know me and you hit the nail on the head with my obsession about color. Read on...

Off topic, I saw a cousin recently that I hadn't seen in years at my dad's funeral. There was left over food at a reception and I was in charge of putting the cookies into boxes. I arranged every box exactly the same. My cousin walked over after watching me and said, "got a bit of OCD, do we?"

18. biscuit

biscuit New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just purchased my first Prius, in silver/misty grey. I thought for sure I wanted the dark grey, but accepted the misty because I wanted the car. I felt slightly panicked for a day or two about the color, thinking it was an awful mistake because of how light it is. But that's all it was - fear of dirt. Not the most valid reason to reject something as attractive as this interior. If something happens, you have it cleaned, no big whoop! That aside, there is NO comparison with regard to which looks better. I agree with previous posters about the high-end look of the misty grey. The two-tone interior is sharp! The dark grey monotone looks really boring and generic to me. I quickly got over my issues after the first couple of days in the car. It looks and feels so rich to me, it's just beautiful.. and it already has stopped looking so light. Not because it's dirty, but because I have loosened up and gotten not only used to it, but really happy with how it all turned out. :)

19. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds to me you dont like the car period.....sell it and buy something you love life is too short to commit to one car....

20. Sandy

Sandy Hippi Chick

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Next time you see him tell him no you have CDO they way the letters are suppose to be :)