1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After 250,000 miles (Update: now 293,000), should I just drive it 'til it drops?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusyipee, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Were you able to determine where it broke? I'm just wondering if a bit of lube somewhere would save others from a simliar task.

2. Aaron Vitolins

Aaron Vitolins Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I would do all three mentioned. None of these are too hard or too expensive and I'd be its over due.. Even if they aren't over due it couldn't hurt!

Priusyipee likes this.
  3. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It broke off right at the latch. I'm sure that lubrication would have avoided the problem as the winter road salt eats away at everything and anything!

When did you acquire the car (mileage) and how much oil does it burn? How frequently do you change the oil/filter and how often do you check the level between oil changes? All fluids should be changed as they break down over time. The 12 V battery, all exterior lights, brakes, exhaust system, and wipers should be inspected and replaced if necessary before winter hits. Under the hood check the ICE water pump for signs of weeping / fluid loss, the condition of the belt, levels and condition of all fluids. Wheel bearings let you know when they need replacing as they produce an audible sound.

#83 Priusyipee, Oct 24, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2017
  4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The car had 189000 miles on it when I bought it. I'm still trying to figure out exactly how much oil I'm burning. I use Amsoil Sntheyic and an Amsoil filter and change every 10000 miles and I roughly burn 2 quarts in between times. I'm good with exterior lights and wiper blades I've changed out my headlight bulbs for LEDs and use PIAA Si Tech blades. I will have to take a closer look at the ICE water pump as I do not know exactly where to look. I also really don't know how I would go about checking the condition of the other fluids other than the oil which is a big reason why I asked about changing them. I look forward to more information or suggestions anyone can provide

pilotgrrl likes this.
  5. DevChatt

DevChatt Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    This is inspiring.

Priusyipee likes this.
  6. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    WoW! Talk about inspiring... Here we go into 2018. The Pri now has over 318,000 miles and still doing very well SOC is normal and it has been starting in temps (literally) of -25 F. The 12v was last replaced in June of 2011 (not because of any problem but as a precaution) so that battery is now approaching 7 years old. Nothing has been done to the car since my last posting except replacing the after market hood release cable with OEM because it failed less than 2 months after replacement. Lesson learned. I really believe that the drive train will outlast the body of this little beast!

7. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wheel bearings

8. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: Warning lights appeared last week (BRAKE, (!), VSC, and ABS) - but no master warning light. Time for a new battery as we are approaching year 7. I bought a new battery as a precaution and installed it this morning. Warning lights did not disappear. The code reader indicates that there is a malfunction with the rt. rear wheel hydraulic system. Since this car has drum brakes, I assume that the wheel cylinder pistons may be shot as there is no evidence of a leak and the brake fluid remains at the max level. The brakes seem to be behaving normally with no unusual sounds or pump noises. If anyone has any suggestions, chime in.

There are no odd noises or any other indication that would point to the brake actuator going out. Otherwise, the car is still running fine, the SOC is WNL (within normal limits), and all is ok. Getting closer to that 320,000 mark...

Thank you again everyone!

Aaron Vitolins likes this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    see post number 5.:p

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Have you ever changed the brake fluid?

11. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The battery is 6.75 years old. The extreme temperatures and temperature fluctuations in my area warrant replacement at that age unless one is like my son who parked his vehicle ( '08 Prius) for the night and couldn't get it started the next morning (original battery 7.75 years old). It had a good life. I'd rather not take chances since my daily commute is a bit less than 100 miles a day.

12. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I usually service the brake fluid but with all the cars that I own (and the kids cars that I service), I can't say exactly when it was last done. The fluid, however, is relatively clear and shows no sign of breakdown at the present time.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  13. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since you do not see a fluid leak I would not assume there is anything wrong with the brake wheel cylinders. What was the DTC and what are you using to retrieve that?

Priusyipee and SFO like this.
  14. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pure speculation on my part, but if it's reporting "a malfunction with the rt. rear wheel hydraulic system" then I'm guessing it has a pressure sensor in the hydraulic line to each wheel. That would imply that either the sensor is bad, or that there really isn't pressure in that portion of the system.

I'd be really curious if the rt rear brake is actually braking. If it's not, you'd be down about 10% on maximum braking power and that would be really hard to determine in normal driving. Do you have one of those IR temperature guns? I'm thinking you could drive down a decent hill in N (so no regen) and riding the brakes, then when you reach the bottom get out and measure the temperature of the rear brakes. If the right side is significantly cooler than the left side, it would indicate it isn't working.

Raytheeagle and SFO like this.
  15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I recently had a car with rear drum brakes, with one rear brake non-functional (after "professional" brake fluid change), not engaging, and it was fairly noticeable. Stopping distances were increased, the Anti-Lock Braking would activate way too willingly, and there was an odd side-to-side rocking feel just as you came to a stop.

Definitive test was to raise the rear (front wheels chocked) and have my wife push down the brake pedal while I spun the rear wheels. One side was just free-spinning.

They got an earful...

#95 Mendel Leisk, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018
  16. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We have reached the end of the line. The car will not pass inspection due to severe rust. It runs great and everything works mechanically. The brakes have been responding normally to this point regardless of the codes. The hybrid battery still doing well. If anyone was local and needed parts... We will keep it around for a while... May make it to 320,000 in the next few weeks as the inspection sticker is good until the end of the month...

Raytheeagle, SFO and Prodigyplace like this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Planning on replacing the car or just retiring it?

18. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Retirement. We bought a 2014 V in August as we planned on the car dying at any time... I would like to part it out. It has been a great car and would be a great parts car. Interior is mint. Always kept carpeting covered. Leather seats ( heated), etc etc. All very clean and functioning. Body panels also straight.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sounds like a good parts car. Perhaps Tampa Hybrids would be interested. Todd (@TampaPrius.com ) is a member here but usually too busy to post much.

20. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Body, suspension, both?

I'm a little dismayed at the suspension rust on our 2010, the structural members and the bolts. Toyota definitely does not make rust prevention a priority. :mad:

Prodigyplace likes this.