After 250,000 miles (Update: now 293,000), should I just drive it 'til it drops?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Priusyipee, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Their road salt may be worse than your salt air. The car is 5 years older than yours too.

Priusyipee and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm in upstate NY :eek:

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  3. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Unibody. Suspension not bad.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The road salt is awful here and the car has never been garaged. It had a good run, though. It's a shame because mechanically, it runs great! :D

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  5. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    By the tone of your recent post, I imagine that you are sad to give up your old reliable girl... Have you try taking to different inspection station to get second opinion? Or retire her for good?

Priusyipee and Prodigyplace like this.
  6. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It was a fleeting thought to have another inspection station look at the car but there is one section of the frame that is so rusted out, I would consider it a safety risk. It will be driven locally around town until the end of the month then we will part her out. I have a 2008 Prius as well so it's not a total loss as parts are (for the most part) interchangeable.

Shane Burns likes this.
  7. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Genius! You nailed it right on the head with those speed sensors! Finally got the chance to get a really good look at the car now that the weather has been clear for a few days and the ice and snow that had built up on the underbody melted away. I confirmed that the left rocker panel was severely rusted out . The rust traveled up the frame and compromises the safety of the vehicle if it were involved in a crash. Front wheel bearings are shot AGAIN, and using tech stream has pointed to both front speed sensors. I will be driving the car just here and there locally until the inspection expires on February 28th. I plan to part out the car or sell it whole if anyone wants it. All harnesses, electronics, etc. are in good working order.

tpenny67 likes this.
  8. tpenny67

tpenny67 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks! But to be fair, I did say "pressure" sensor of some sort. Speeds sensors would be part of the ABS and traction control, and when they corroded on my old Chevy the ABS would kick in on dry pavement at low speeds, like when you're trying to park or stop at a stop sign before pulling into high speed traffic.

Keep an eye on that brake fluid while you continue to drive. The same Chevy taught me what happens when a brake line rusts out! :eek:

Priusyipee and Raytheeagle like this.
  9. Priusyipee

Priusyipee Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It ain't over 'til it's over...

I brought the '05 Prius to another NYS inspection station after a conversation with the owner this past Saturday (who was doing some exhaust work on my '03 Highlander). He had never seen a Prius too rusted out to pass and asked that we bring it in. Good news: I just found out that it WILL pass! :ROFLMAO:
    Now on to the codes and other repairs: I was right in that there is a slight leak and loss of piston travel in the right real wheel cylinder which will need replacing. The rear brakes and shoes will need replacement (this will be the second time in 319,000+ miles). The front wheel bearings are shot (no surprise and being replaced for the 4th time) and the lower control arms and struts need replacement (first time since owning the car).

I lucked out yesterday in that opening my email, I found out that I had won $100 off a parts order at Conicelli Toyota! Parts are ordered and I am ready to go. I will be installing aftermarket preloaded struts to make my life easier...

Once all this is done, the car will fly through inspection! It should only need an alignment at the shop. I am thrilled that this car (and the original hybrid battery) can work its way to 400,000 miles! Only 80,000 or so to go! :D

10. Shane Burns

Shane Burns Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ahhh! This is good news! Love the Prius! They keep going and going! :ROFLMAO:

Priusyipee likes this.