1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After 4 years, I am finally getting good mileage ...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by PriusRos, Jul 3, 2013.

1. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My first two tank's were in the 47, and 49mpg range <calculated> with about 60% highway driving through the mountains/hills<for the west coasters> of West Virginia. My current third tank, is displayed at 58.1mpg, with mainly commuting about 6-7 miles to work each way.

I have found that around town driving is not bad at all as long as the trip is more than 5 miles each way. And even stopping at one store and then going to another is still fine on gas mileage as long as A) It's warm outside and B) I do not wait too long before starting it up. As long as the coolant temperature is maintained I guess the ICE will not start, thereby saving us from the mpg drop on initial ICE warmup.

This should easily be my first 500 mile tank, with a displayed 58.1mpg right now, I'm contemplating trying to hit the 600 mile tank for fun.

Thanks,
    Marcus

2. prius_in_pa

prius_in_pa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

During warm weather, if I press the "EV" button as soon as the "Ready" light comes on, the ICE will not start until I exceed a certain speed or if I needed extra power. I normally do this whenever I'm in a crowded parking lot or backing out of my driveway. No need to start the ICE if I don't need the power.

3. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Interesting, I'll have to try that. I swear when I first got the car last month that this approach still started the ICE, but it could be that it was cooler then. What temps are you in?

It's in the mid to upper 60's when I leave for work right now.

Thanks!

4. Madduck

Madduck New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I increased my tire pressure to 42/40 and noticed and immediate increase in MPG. I love all the good information that I get from PriusChat.

5. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I'm a little puzzled... you have a 2012 but you are currently only on your third tank??

6. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The site does not let you choose 2013 as your model year =)

Look at my Fuelly sig below.

7. Dravor

Dravor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Now I feel like an Idiot. It's funny top of it list is 2012, and it goes down in years in order, and 2013 is all the way at the bottom =) At least it's fixed now.

8. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

Okay - I'm sure we have all had our idiot moments -- I have one at least once daily! :p (Which are easily confused with my senior moments.)