1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After all these recalls, will you still buy a Toyota product in the future?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by 4G63, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    5 Toyotas, 1 smart. I've had more issues in the one year I've had the smart than in the last 13 years with 5 different Toyota vehicles. Granted, they were all minor but one of them could've stranded me (when I took my cross-country trip, the MB dealership hadn't open in Saskatoon yet so if one of the common problem were to have happened on my trip in the middle of Saskatchewan, the nearest dealer would either be Winnipeg or Calgary. For those that don't have a sense of geography, if I were to be stuck in the middle of Eastern Montana (e.g. Glasgow), the nearest dealership would be Fargo (or Grand Forks) to the east or Missoula to the west).

Oh and I would strongly prefer if it was a hybrid.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That count of 34 alleged deaths reaches way back. It includes a 1992 fatality in a 1988 Camry. And it includes more deaths that predate Toyota's all-wire throttle controls.

3. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's also fair to note that new car tire warranty is provided by the tire manufacturer, not the vehicle manufacturer. The vehicle manufacturer may not realize there's a systemic tire problem as quickly as it could, say, a starter problem -- because the auto manufacturer directly processes and logs starter warranty claims, but the tire mfgr handles tire warranty claims. In the end, Ford ran and paid-for the tire recall because Firestone was dragging its feet (and, admittedly, because customers and the general public were blaming Ford). Ford then took on Firestone itself, removing the need for each customer to fight with them individually. I hope, but really don't know, that the vehicle manufacturers now require real-time warranty claim info from the tire manufacturers.

4. lunabelgium

lunabelgium Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Toyota will probably emerge stronger than ever.

I'm thinking as you.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    love our two prii and hycam. looking forward to the plug in prius. if another manufacturer came up with something better, i would look at it, but the warranty would have to be outstanding. i would like to look at the fusion hybrid but too many past problems with ford have made me gunshy.

6. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd be willing to consider a Focus hybrid, but they don't make them. Besides, the HSD is superior to anything else currently on the market. So if Toyota came out with a Yaris hybrid, I'd go for one of those.

7. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This past week, a woman at work asked me about the Toyota recall. When I mentioned it was a software upgrade that did not include my model, she sighed...

She'd had a GM SUV of some sort... it would just die. Brand new, and it would just stop running. Dealer told her there was nothing wrong with it.

another person piped up that they had the one that the cruise control would just catch fire, even if the car wasn't running!!! :OMG:

I'll stick with Toyota, thanks.

8. glennc

glennc New Member

Model:
    III
    Will and have. I took delivery on a 2010 Prius 3 this morning. I went exclusively to Toyota for the whole family about 18 years ago when I had a really bad Chevy experience.

Glenn

9. gusgol

gusgol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes I would buy another Prius.
    One question: is the ECU software in the 2008 any different than the 2010, being "updated"? Should I take my 2008 to have the software updated, as well?

10. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Different design, different code, no fit.