1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After full charge, only 11.5 miles :(

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by GreenGuy33, Aug 8, 2014.

1. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Someone on the forum used the term "driving PiPishly" to describe how he now drives a new car (Volt maybe). He used the term in reference to the method he had developed in his Pip to achieve high mileage and efficiency. I'm certain that PiPish driving habits can raise estimated EV readings after charging. When I first bought my PiP last December I had EV estimates of 12 miles or so off the dealer floor, and winter cold wasn't helping things. My EV range following a full charge has consistently risen to where now I saw 18.5 miles this morning. A month ago I saw a drop. At the same time I had elected to turn off ECO Mode, which had always been on from the beginning. Two weeks ago I turned it back on, continued my same PiPish driving habits, and the estimate rose again to today's high.
    Weather does play a part, temperature chiefly. High tire inflation certainly helps. Undoubtedly, driving steep hills takes its toll. But I really think it's how you drive that determines your EV estimated range after charging. Consistent, PiPish driving habits are key to slowly increasing EV range. What few tests I've done indicate that actual mileage isn't too much less than the indicated range as long as speed is sedate, inclines aren't attacked aggressively and I really baby the throttle.