1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After FUSIBLE LINK install, car starts and immediately dies with PROBLEM warning

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ryan Browning, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Ryan Browning

Ryan Browning New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Hello Users,

I reverse jumped my 08. The horn sounded continuously and I had to disconnect the 12v battery. I LET IT SIT FOR ABOUT SIX MONTHS and finally changed the fusible link.

I now have power to the car. Upon starting it, the engine starts up and then dies after about 3 seconds. The screen displays PROBLEM. I also have an assortment of other warning lights including the triangle and a little car with a ! In it.

PLEASE NOTE THAT WHEN I PRESS THE GAS IT DOES NOTHING DURING THAT THREE SECONDS OF ENGINE FUNCTION.

2. Ryan Browning

Ryan Browning New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I was able to fix this. The problem was:

BLOWN ETCS 10v fuse

Upon replacement, car operates correctly.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Just went through something similar.

The engine is not running its just spinning up trying to start but the car will not let it as it has a fatal error code logged. You have the red triangle of death too on the dash RTOD.

If you had a hybrid capable code reader it would tell you what the codes on the dash are reporting but if your really really lucky it only has some blown fuses.

take every single fuse out of the black plastic fuse box on the right in the engine bay and check with an ohmmeter. That's step 1.

Step 2 is do the same thing to the fuse box in the left knee kick panel in the cabin. The dome fuse should be blown for sure but may be more.

Never ever do anything to the battery in the trunk. Always use the front jump point.