1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After Hybrid Battery Changed Brake+ABS Light Came On

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by arya.eubanks, Aug 13, 2020.

1. arya.eubanks

arya.eubanks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,

I have 2007 Toyota Prius. I'm second owner and I was using this car without problem in last 2-3 months. However, 2 weeks ago I changed the hybrid battery (because old battery died). And after it, brake and ABS light came on. Toyota Dealership did diagnostic and found the ABS actuator went bad and needs to be changed (I have C1203, C1241, C1242, C1345, C1378, C2121, C2122, C2123, C2124, 2177S). They quoted me $2700. I can't afford it. I also don't feel any difference at brakes.

• First of all, is it safe to continue to drive like that? I read here some people cancel ABS and continue to use their cars.
    • Is it possible that they cleared the brake codes before selling the car to me?
    • I tried the paper clip method but it didn't work. Is there a someone or place in Austin to reset these brake and ABS lights? I can make a payment for it as well.

Thank you.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I will send you a pm

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Some of those codes have to do with electrical power supplied to the brake system, some of it from a box that's located in the rear of the car near the (aux) battery.

If there was recent work done back in that area (as would be involved in replacing the traction battery), I would be tempted to do some careful inspection back there before I totally took the dealer's word that the actuator's shot. Sometimes things get bumped, jostled, left unplugged or half-plugged.

4. arya.eubanks

arya.eubanks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    But how can I investigate the aux battery more? I have changed the 12V battery when I bought the car. And obviously, when we change the hybrid battery they removed the aux battery too. Do you think this is maybe just electricity problem?

And my main curious, is there a way to clear ABS actuator break codes especially C1203 and C1345? Is it possible the problem was already there and someone cleared C1203 and C1345 codes before selling the car?

5. arya.eubanks

arya.eubanks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I googled and I did linear solenoid offset learning (or something like that).

Now, red BRAKE and ABS lights are finally turned off!

I don't think my ABS brake actuator is bad. Dealerships are just pushing people to sell unnecessary repairs. And I cannot believe why Charles Maund Toyota Austin TX didn't calibration procedure at my car or didn't give information about it (they just did diagnostic at my car). Is there a specific error code or symptoms about ABS brake actuator? I will report this dealership to Toyota US.

Best.

6. Davidude

Davidude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Can you throw a link to how you recalibrated it? I'm having a similar issue with my cruise control every since I replaced the 12v battery. It's been 8,000 miles so no actual problems just a code that won't clear even with a computer from the mechanic's.

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You don't have to guess at this based on "similar issue" or "a code".

There is one specific code that tells you the car wants the linear solenoid offset learned. C1345.

If you have that code, you have to do the linear offset learning. If you "clear" the code, the car will just say "by the way, did I ever mention you need to do the linear offset learning?"

If you have other codes but not that, you should not be thinking about the linear offset learning, but about what the codes you have mean.

It comes down to not "I have codes" but to what codes.

If you do have C1345, this procedure will trigger the relearn in a Gen 3. I don't know if the Gen 2 procedure is the same. A careful person would check the repair manual to be sure.

8. arya.eubanks

arya.eubanks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Attached Files:

Davidude likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok, that's a different procedure. That one's for initializing the yaw rate and deceleration sensor. That's also a thing. If your car has a code for needing the yaw rate and deceleration sensor initialized, you do that thing. If it is giving you the code for needed the linear solenoid offset learnt, you do that thing.

Again, it comes down to paying attention to what codes you have.

10. arya.eubanks

arya.eubanks New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are both of them related with brake system, right? Does ABS actuator failing produce any specific code, if not what're symptoms of it?

11. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The ABS actuator is a box with ten valves that are electrically operated, one that's mechanical, an electric pump, a pressure chamber, and seven pressure sensors. "ABS actuator failing" can happen in dozens of different ways, with different symptoms, and that's why there are so many different brake trouble codes that can be reported, and that's why you read the trouble codes to find out what it's reporting.

Now, if you get codes that lead you to a diagnosis that the actuator is in fact failing, there isn't much you can do but replace it; there aren't any sub-assembly-level repair instructions or parts on sale for it.

But you can also get lots of codes that don't mean the actuator is failing. Codes about electrical supply to it, or connections to other sensors, or communication with other ECUs, or just codes that it wants to relearn a certain calibration figure, so you do that.

That's why it's so important to read the codes, and refer to the manual for what they could be telling you, and not just guess. There are near two hundred of them; it doesn't make sense to say "I seem to have some brake codes, what does that mean?"