1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After Market Catalytic Converter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by AdamSF, Sep 28, 2022.

1. AdamSF

AdamSF New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Unfortunately, I just had the catalytic converter stolen from my 2010 Prius. The OEM part has been on backorder for months. Is anyone aware if there is an aftermarket catalytic converter that is legal in California? If so, do you know if any shops in the SF Bay Area that are installing them? Thanks!

-Adam

2. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unfortunately there is no ETA on OEM.
    The only other legal option is Magnaflow.

I just got the 5631455 from them and that is after waiting on a mailing list for a year.

In August I got it and they are already out of stock.l, but go there and enter your cars details and take a look and enter the mailing list to get notified when they are in stock!

They are double the price of OEM though.

3. AdamSF

AdamSF New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks a lot for your reply! Is there a shop that installed it for you?

Also, I just looked it up and it looks like it's in stock for my 2010 Prius. Unless I'm looking at the wrong thing? I found it on the summit racing equipment website.

4. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then let me get this straight here If you live in California or those EPA states. And your Prius has its catalytic converter stolen The whole assembly cut out and unbolted whatever the thing is all you're looking at is the back end of your exhaust manifold on your engine and a big gaping hole until the muffler pipe. So basically that car is out of commission can't even be started or looked at until that catalytic converter assembly no matter who's supplying it but it's EPA and carb approved for the given states so you're $20,000 car is just dead in the water can't do squat with it sitting in your driveway or wherever it is you have to go buy another vehicle in order to get to work listen to how that sounds where I live right now today in Durham North Carolina the city of medicine All I would have to do is drive that car over to my muffler guy who would jack the car up and rig me up a flange to go from my exhaust manifold to a pipe that he bends all the way to my cat back connector which is if it has been severed he will just weld his pipe up to that and now I have a straight pipe bypassing the catalytic converter. Because there's none available anywhere in the world for me to buy as can be verified by the city town and government locally and I'm off. Until inspection time comes which is in a year from now then I can apply for a waiver for the car because the part cannot be had by anybody on the planet and that waiver will cost me like $17. In Orange county where I live in North Carolina we have no emissions so my straight pipe will not even fall in the inspection category in Orange county we just have a safety inspection lights turn signals and horns. That's it so what third world country is going to keep my car off the road make it undrivable for me. And everything else. I just could not find myself living in such a place that's all that I'm saying that's just plain weird. It's not like I'm installing a permanent fart can or some nonsense on my Yaris. This is just to me sounding plain stupid this is not cleaning anybody's air or making the planet any better. I found that out years ago with my Corollas in Massachusetts with no cats and everything not on the vehicle on the sniffer my car was still in the correct numbers range to pass emissions in the state with all the emissions controls removed by me.

douglasjre and AdamSF like this.
  6. AdamSF

AdamSF New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I found a shop that has some of the magnaflow. How’s the quality? As good as OEM?

7. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well to be fair I can only compare it to the 12 year old OEM converter with a P0420 code I had but it is high flow and it makes the engine sound a little different.

Engine code is gone like they claim.
    5 year warranty and I think it is 50k miles.

If I had the chance to buy OEM I would.
    Save half the cost doing so but they are hard to find.

I can only talk about the 5631455 and not other Magnaflow parts.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So does the water or whatever get preheated in a jacket around the catalytic converter or is that done in that piece above the converter that the converter is welded to kind of looks like the converter before the converter but that's just a hollowed out water jacket to preheat the coolant quickly is this kind of correct like I say I don't have this part laying on the ground and then essentially you could slice the converter right off with your bandsaw and take a regular converter and spot weld it and seam it right there where you just cut off from water preheater or whatever but like I say I may not have the understanding of how that works I wouldn't want to get rid of it generally speaking the preheating.

9. AzusaPrius

AzusaPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    All websites including summit racing are drop ship only, so they rely on Magnaflow to be in stock.

Currently the direct fit converter 5631455
    is out of stock.

I paid a local shop in my area to install it.

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The first two things are the cats. The next thing (the first NOT CAT) is the heat exchanger.

[​IMG]

11. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So then basically to get this mess out of the Gen 3 and wind up with the cats with the precious metal in them the two bottom pieces aren't even needed and to get the two upper pieces out you're going to really get a long 14-in or 16-in sawzall blade up in there versus a long socket with an electric wrench to knock out two bolts.. I guess. That's what I thought it'd be the exhaust would hit cat cat or brick brick and then whatever nonsense is downstream the secondary muffler whatever they call that and whatever the other thing is but they're not useful to the thieves the thieves only want the two pieces on the very front right next to the flange.

12. Arun Mehta

Arun Mehta New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Does anyone know any mechanic in bay area who installs Magnaflow Catalytic converter (5631455) ? My converter was stolen few days back and I am looking for opinions on Magnaflow since OEM part has long backorder list.

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If they do exhaust work they'll probably install the magnaflow converter I don't know if there's any specialty people that just do Prius with the magnaflow part that's available that they can put their hands on possibly most shops work on what comes in the door and what they can readily get parts for without a whole lot of hassle You're not paying for the shop manager to sit on his keister and call around all day looking for a part for one vehicle That's what this can turn into with some of these repairs That's why these things get costly because they're tying up shop space tying up parking lot space sitting waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting somebody has to pay for some of that The car could wait at my house just as well as it could wait tying up valuable shop space in the city limits where rents are $10,000 a month If I already know that nobody can get these parts I'm not going to waste time hauling my vehicle over to a shop to let it sit in their valuable space waiting just doesn't make good sense to me I can't wrap my head around that. So I'll get with my Mechy buddy and will make a plan to get it over there when the part might be there or something to that effect so we're not spinning our wheels taking up valuable space doing a lot of nothing.

14. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    THe quality is about as good as OEM.

However, I be more concern about the state of the damage to the exhaust system after the theft, If the exhaust pre-heater, the Magnaflow cat will not work, because it does include the exhaust pre-heater.

Watch this YouTube video for more information.

15. Arun Mehta

Arun Mehta New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Tombukt2. I went to few nearby shops but they all said they have never heard of it. When I showed them the part on website they told me that this will not fit. So I wanted to check if anyone had experience with any bay area shop. Thanks for your answer. I will check few more shops over the weekend.

16. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    A video with more information on California approved after-market cats.

Here's the one of the MagnaFlow cat that member AzusaPrius posted.

225747_20220812_130103.jpeg 225746_20220812_130144.jpeg

And here is a photo of his install.

227116_20220913_132715.jpeg

Azusa is correct. It fits.

17. Arun Mehta

Arun Mehta New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks Georgina Rudkus.

18. Burnrubber

Burnrubber Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I deal with a Prius shop that has saved me a lot of money in the past few years because he uses parts from savaged Priuses. My 2008 is showing a code for the catalytic converter and my mileage is down to around 30 mpg. I asked Chris at REPRIUS and he told me the after market cats were going bad real fast. 10,000 - 15,000 miles.

CR94 likes this.