1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After Market Entertainment/Nav For Prius IV

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Captain Caseous, Apr 29, 2022.

1. Captain Caseous

Captain Caseous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Love my 2012 Prius, but the included nav/Entertainment system was never great. Now, pots aren't working, maps aren't up to date (that's an easier fix), no Android/Apple play, and the bluetooth is now acting strangely.
    Has anyone ever gotten an aftermarket Nav/Entertainment system for their Gen 3? It would be nice to have an up-to-date system. Costly, probably, but I'd settle for fully working, at this point. Thoughts? Thx.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I've been looking into this for some time for the 2013 there are some aftermarket units out there that have higher resolution screens and I think take you up to 9 in but fit in the same space I have not bitten the bullet and bought one as they are not made by anybody that one would recognize they do look good in the advertisement somewhat and then i'm worried of course how much stuff I will lose I don't use the nav that's in the car I have a 7-in window mount and that's about that I don't want to just tear up that space and stick something in there and lose a bunch of I don't know what I don't use much of the display as it is I do use the stereo a little bit

3. brzy25

brzy25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I've got an Alpine CarPlay ILX-W650 head unit in my car. Go on crutchfield and it will tell you all you need. They'll even connect the wiring harness adapter so it plugs right in. I swapped the headset and the steering wheel wiring adapters from my 09 Corolla, needed an xm antenna adapter and a camera adapter too. Works great. You probably need an emergency brake bypass too, but those are headset specific.

You lose the ability to turn stuff off like door auto lock in the radio menus so get all that set before removing. You can do it later using some Bluetooth obdii code reader apps but it feels sketchier to me.

Attached Files:

#3 brzy25, Apr 29, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2022
  4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    This is exactly the kind of reading i've been doing i've owned alpine head unit since the '80s like them very much but i'm not willing to do a whole lot to the prius to make it happen add some nice speakers call it a day as old as I am now this is really not super important the thing I do use a lot as a GPS but mine is a garmin trucker unit with a high res screen that I paid nearly nothing for it's like a $400 unit.

5. brzy25

brzy25 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Changing speakers would be way more work than this. It's an an adapter surround that bolts in the dash to hold the radio and a wiring harness that plugs the new head unit right into the factory plug. Like 4 bolts and 2 screws.

Attached Files:

6. Captain Caseous

Captain Caseous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks, everyone. No one mentioned anything like a Kenwood or Pioneer that Crutchfield says would work. Any experience or thoughts about those?

7. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't even bother with onboard navi

8. tonycd

tonycd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I greatly prefer onboard nav and willingly pay extra to get it. Its controls and display are integrated into those of the car, and it doesn't burn through my phone plan's data allotment.

Mr. F and Foxglove like this.
  9. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    downloaded maps will keep that from happening. all it will grab online are traffic updates and road closures.

head units still require map updates and a good example is alpine. 59.99