1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

after market navigation through stock system

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by shandrea, Nov 28, 2005.

1. shandrea

shandrea New Member

This site shows four: http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/ but now I'm all confused because I thought there were Nav buttons.

jmisola: post pictures of your installed system when it is done. I think that could do the trick. That would allow me to get a package 4 for $1825 instead of package 7 for $5730. I'd get Nav, and a better stereo. The bluetooth and and HID lights are the only options I'd miss out on. Are you installing it yourself, or getting it professionally done? I'd get it professionally done. Do people run into problems with shops not wanting to do something like this for liability reasons? Any warranty issues?

How do you add Nav to the Alpine?

I'm still surprised that no one has tried adding a Toyota system from the junk yard, but I guess if the wiring would be complicated, it makes sense.

2. tag

tag Senior Member

Yeah, I suppose there's no real use for the "Menu" button in a Prius without NAV.

3. ABC12

ABC12 New Member

page 146 of the 2005 manual shows 4 buttons for non-nav, 7 for nav

4. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

The thing about navigation systems that they are rapidly changing. After reading a previous series of posts here on Priuschat I started looking into the matter. <_<

Not only is the price of alternative systems far better than Toyota's, systems by Alpine, Pioneer, Clarion, Magellan, Garmin, etc are far superior. The only advantages Toyota nav systems have are that they are built into the car and impossible to steal without taking the car. :angry:

Portable systems can be used in many cars including rentals. They can also be updated very easily by downloading maps in the unit's flash memory, memory cards, or hard drive. You can find feature and price comparisons via Google. My preference is for Garmin (www.garmin.com) the Toyota of navigation sytems. Their systems range from Scion to Lexus. ;)

Good Luck! B)

5. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Not only wiring, there's the issue with the Air Bags. The steering wheel has one and would have to be taken care of when removing and replacing. The junk yard owner would want to piece it out as much as possible (ie you could get the DVD system, but not the disc) so it would start to add up. I'm sure it could be done, but at a higher cost than simply getting a third-party system.

My father wants to put front disc brakes in his 1964 Studebaker GT Hawk. Yeah, it can be done, but it's costly. The car is driven about 100 miles a year (to, in and from parades) so is it worth it?

6. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Each has different options. Some have 3-D mode. Some have BT. Some have XM which can display traffic conditions right on the map.

7. FreshAirGuy

FreshAirGuy New Member

As I understand it no portable gps system requires the insertion of a dvd to work. The map and point of insterest (poi) information is stored in flash memory or hard drive. Both are faster than dvd and more accurate because they are not not vulverable to bump glitches like dvd and cd drives (rare but they can occur especially on pumpy roads). Yes maps and related information need to be updated just like Mapsco. In dash systems as a rule can only be updated via dvd. Portable systems use a USB or blue tooth connection.

8. ABC12

ABC12 New Member

my delorme requires a cd if i want everything to be available all of the time

9. aaf709

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You can go to this thread to see one model.

10. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wow, thanks! Definetely gonna give this a try.

11. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    All right smart guy, that was a rough figure. The package3 was selling for $22,877 while the Package6 was selling for $27,500 or so in California.

Didn't know Denso made Navigation systems either...

IMO, $5000 is a little too much for OEM HID's ($400 aftermarket, similar quality), Navigation ($1000-1500 aftermarket, detached), bluetooth phonebook, and other cool gadgets. Or maybe i'm just too damn poor and $5000 is a huge chunk of my wallet.

I'm answering the original question and am not here to discuss exact price figures and features. Go bother someone else.

12. Wayne

Wayne Active Member

Boy, I love this place. Always so friendly... <_<

13. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    :p

14. ScubaX

ScubaX Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you have the DVD version with phone numbers and other addons? The 2004 and 2006 Delorme Street Atlas versions and the 2005 Delorme Topo do not require the CD be installed to use them. You just have to install the data from the 2nd CD to run without the CD being installed (or all 5 or 6 state CD's for the Topo version).

When first run with the 2006 data CD, it asks you if you want to install the data so you can run without the CD. It also gives you an option to check and not have that prompt come up anymore. You can probably install the data still by exploring the cd and finding the install.exe file which is the way it is done on the 2004 version.