1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After market Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dawit, May 15, 2013.

1. Dawit

Dawit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Has anyone used Myron & davis navigation DVD system or any other after market system for the 3rd generation prius? I'm looking to buy one that has an OEM look. I can't decide which one to get. Any recommendations?

2. Nikos

Nikos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have this one on my Prius [​IMG] and am very happy with it. Have also fitted rear view camera and DVB-T tuner. Had another unit on my Rav4 in the past and never had any problem. The only downside is that the illumination of the unit is blue but that does not matter to me. In fact i like it better.

Nikos.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    No experience w/them but Rosen was the first I'd heard of (long ago) for Gen 3 that has a similar to factory look.

4. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I installed a Myron & Davis in my 2010 PII last week. Hard to beat for $290 shipped. It adds better sound, Bluetooth, nav, a screen for backup camera, DVD player etc. I added the Sirius module and iPod connector. There are a few glitches but overall I'm happy with it. Super easy to install.

image.jpg

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ^^^
    Hey, you're back from a long hiatus, it seems.

Have you installed a footwell camera? ;)

6. Nikos

Nikos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
  7. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Yep, sold my SUV and now hypermiling in another Prius.

My plans are to install a backup camera this weekend, then add a DVR into the AUX input with multiple switchable cameras... footwell, front bumper for parking, both side mirrors for changing lanes, and a dashcam. I found some mini cameras for $13 each. Full install DIY coming soon.

8. Matt_A

Matt_A Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I love the clean look of installed Nav units, but we chose to get a Prius II because I prefer to use a portable Garmin. Their new 2013 models have a great UI and simply work really well. I can use voice commands to navigate, my wife can mess with it while we're driving (no in-motion lock out), and I can update maps a few times a year for free. At roughly $200 it can be replaced as the technology changes or if they make big improvements in newer models. We keep it on a beanbag friction mount and if we're not using it, we keep it in the lower section under the center console and cover it with a small black towel.

boidies and WE0H like this.
  9. vietalogy

vietalogy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Where did you get this unit from?

10. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Former Member 68813 likes this.
  11. vietalogy

vietalogy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks

Sent via Galaxy S4

12. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
  13. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I figured I would give it a try for $290, if I didn't like it I could have returned it within 14 days. I would have probably saved $50 and bought the refurbished unit but I didn't see it at the time I made the purchase. The good thing is that Myron & Davis have been very helpful so far with their tech support. They're in SoCal. Some of the complaints on amazon are valid, others haven't been an issue for me. Some of them are because the amazon customer didn't understand the features and/or instructions.

These are close out units btw, they originally sold for $800-1200. For that price I would have probably kept my stock p2 headunit and added Bluetooth with something like a Parrot, Sirius SCC1 module, iPod with the Toyota link, a backup camera and mini tv screen to view it.

But the Myron & Davis works pretty good, looks perfect, has more power and an EQ for better sound from the stock speakers, a DVD player, and navigation. And it's easy to install. I've had a g3 Prius 5 with the factory nav and its about the same as this aftermarket unit, neither are as good as the factory nav I've owned in other vehicles. I have my iPhone as a backup.

image.jpg

image.jpg

14. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your screen looks allot cleaner than Nikos. His even had some discoloration so I wondered about the quality. I see a USB port on the unit. Can you "plug in" a data stick with MP3 tunes on it and play it thru the player? There seemed to be allot of gripes about the zoom for maps in process and the voice prompts. What's your take on it? Also, is it true that the controls illuminate blue instead of the normal green?

15. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It does allow music via USB but I haven't tried it. Bluetooth streaming music and USB music don't show the song names so its fairly worthless compared to the iPod connection.

The screen zoom is not as good as my previous nav that had a dedicated up/down button. Using the touch screen is more difficult and vague. The zoom settings are adjustable, it can be set to zoom according to your speed or as you approach intersections. I haven't noticed any problem with the zoom kicking back.

I don't know what the specific complaints were about voice prompts. Playing around with the settings gives you a choice of several voices, and you can turn the voice off completely if you want. It butchers the spanish street names around where I live, but most navs do that. I find it easier to use my iPhone and tell Siri the address than to try typing it on the touch screen so I really havent used it much.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  16. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Your right. I take my Garmin as a back up, It has lifetime map updates. Works faster & better. But I use the in-dash first because it's new to me. Love my Prius.

Matt_A likes this.
  17. jgilliam1955

jgilliam1955 Sometime your just gotta cry! 2013 Prius 4.

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Nice set up looks great!

18. Nikos

Nikos Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Sorry the photo quality was not the best (mobile phone pictures) and i forgot to mention there is a protective film on my screen that creates a lot of glare in the photos. The screen has HD quality. I will take some better pictures in the afternoon...

Nikos

19. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Three more questions:
    1) I see a TPMS selection on the screen - what exactly does it do? Can it monitor each tire individually?
    2) There is a GPS "hard" button on the right array - is that where you plug in updates? Did you need updates after you purchased and installed it?
    3) Do the controls on the panel illuminate blue or green?
    Thanks

20. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1. The TPMS button isn't active, it looks like they were going to offer a TPMS module as an accessory but it didn't pan out. The standard Toyota system on the dashboard is ok for me. In-tire TPMS sensors are on the endangered species list anyway, the newest cars from Honda etc use tire rotation readings instead of tire pressure.

2. That's the SD slot door, use a small screwdriver on the right side to pry it open. The SD car is spring loaded, just press the card and it comes out, super easy, not sure why someone complained about it on Amazon. Mine had the newest maps so I didn't need to update it.

3. Good question, I haven't noticed. I'll check it tonight.

phoenixgreg likes this.