1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After market Navigation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Dawit, May 15, 2013.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks evpv for your answers. Your replies will be key to whether I decide to invest in one. I didn't know TPMS was already on the way out. There's supposed to be a way to enter diagnostics mode for G3s once there's a NAV screen so I wonder if that's now possible (hold down the INFO button and turn on and off the headlights 3 times). Maybe it only works with the OEM NAV. Has anyone here defeated the lock that prevents new addresses from being entered while the car is moving? BTW, is there a pickup sensor with this unit and does it need to be wired near the roof?
    UPDATE: THE SELLER ON EBAY JUST UPPED HIS PRICE TO $340 FOR A NEW UNIT

2. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    OK, the buttons light up green at night.

image.jpg

The nav "auto zoom" can be disabled by unchecking both zoom options. With both unchecked the zoom stays where you set it.

image.jpg

The Myron & Davis unit comes with a nav antenna. It's magnetic and can be mounted to the roof. The factory nav antenna is mounted under the dash, based on some of the things I read on forums I put mine on top of the head unit and it has been working.

The M&D nav allows you to enter addresses on the fly.

phoenixgreg likes this.
  3. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks evpv...I will go ahead and make a purchase.

4. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The ebay listing has the "Make Offer" option, I'd go with $290 and see what happens.

5. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I did just that and he accepted. He does say in his ad that the quantities of these units are going fast - I think less than 10 left so anyone here thinking about it should do so quickly. I like that he provides free shipping too so very soon, I should have mine and will report back here how the installation went and how it performs. Thanks again, evpv.

6. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    NV7TPR1 Notes:

1. In the AUX section click on the upper right "numeric keyboard" icon, enter 7253 for hidden function settings
    2. Disable the annoying speed limit warning
    3. Disable the beep when you push any button feature
    4. Disable auto zoom for nav
    5. Ground the blue wire to the chassis to bypass the DVD speed limit
    6. The internal bluetooth microphone doesn't work, use the external microphone that is supplied.
    7. If you want satellite radio you need two optional modules, Sirius SCC1 ($43) and M&D IPS01 ($41)
    8. The M&D IPS01 module also allows you to use an iPod, charge it, song names show on screen
    9. To access the GPS SD Card use a small screwdriver on the right edge of the door
    10. The Nav and Bluetooth volumes can be adjusted independently of the music volume, adjust when someone is speaking
    11. Press the volume button to toggle between standard display brightness/dim display/display off
    12. Press the right button to toggle between treble/midrange/bass/bass boost
    13. The steering wheel controls work as normal with the M&D headunit

phoenixgreg likes this.
  7. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    When I get my unit up and running, I may ask you how to do perform some of these recommendations. I should be getting mine around the 28th. Thanks again.

8. SoCalBPrius

SoCalBPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanx for all the great info. After resisting to buy nav for 2 years, I may do it at this ridiculous price;) . I noticed a refurbished Rosen unit at $405. What do u guys think:confused: ?

9. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The key word here is "refurbished". Makes me wonder what happened to it or if it's prone to problems. I opted for the new unit. You can do a search here on Rosen as there were many posts on it in the Audio forum. The Rosen's were originally around $1000 new.

10. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yeah, always a little skeptical of refurbish myself as it's a gamble 50/50 it might be good or might not. So I just put in an offer of $290 for the M & D unit, hope it's accepted:) .

11. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope you get it, and if so, we can share how it went in and if there are any issues. I have to confess, I offered the guy on eBay $300 for the new unit and told him I would give him high praises on this forum and on his feedback on eBay. Of course all of this hinges on how well the unit goes in and operates. Good luck on your offer.

12. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanx for the well wish. As of yesterday, he accepted:) . Can't wait, I noticed he's in California not too far away from me so we'll see who gets it first since u ordered a bit before me. Yeah, that would be cool if we can help each other out as I'm not the best DIYer in electronics;) .

13. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I can help with the install if you are in OC.

SoCalBPrius likes this.
  14. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I just bought 1 too group install?

15. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    did u install the rear camera?

16. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I didn't get the chance last weekend, maybe this weekend.

17. SoCalBPrius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I may take u up on your kind offer & travel to u;) . Whereabouts in O.C. are u evpv? I'm in Torrance area but I'm in Buena Park at least once a week.

18. xcuter

xcuter Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Guys with the Byron Davis units. Did it come with the Jbl module?

SPH-L900 ? 2

19. phoenixgreg

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It would seem evpv would be willing to help you with the installation. I see on my "My eBay" that my unit is in transit from San Bernardino which is near Riverside. It might even be here by Saturday but no later than Tuesday.
    The install process is not that bad as I've had my sky bridge apart many times and have had the OEM radio out too. There are 4 10mm bolts so you will need an medium socket wrench set with an extension to reach those bolts. There are a couple of connectors that just snap off the back and the old unit is out. I'm sure the connectors for the NAV are the same as the radio.

I've read on Rosen installations that there's a "head" unit that needs to be positioned. Depending on how much wire comes with it, I may route it to the upper roof area for best reception. If I lived in OC, I'd offer to help you too but I'm over 300 miles away. I'm probably not going to install a rear view camera, but if someone here knows where they are sold, I might look into it later.

Anyway, you should be getting yours soon so let me know what you think once it arrives.

20. evpv

evpv Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It doesn't come with a JBL module.