1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After market plug in kit vs Toyota plug in

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Ronn82727, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Ronn82727

Ronn82727 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Hello everyone. I just bought my first prius
    ( 2011 ) and it is amazing. So relaxing and fun to drive.

However I want more mpg! I was looking at some aftermarket plug in kits and can't find any info on how fast the can go in pure electric. I looked on enginer's page and it still talked about pulse and glide. I don't want to pull and glide, I want pure electric.

Does anyone have experience with an aftermarket plug in kit? Can you travel at ~ 62mph in pure electric?

If these aftermarket kits can not travel at 62mph in electric why not? The toyota prius plug can travel at 62mph in pure electeic.

2. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You can do a search on here but I'll summarize it as aftermarket plug in is not recommended. There are a few that have succeeded and are happy with their purchase. There are also a few that got royally screwed over. If you want more mpg learn p&g and/or get the PiP.

bisco likes this.
  3. Ronn82727

Ronn82727 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah I thought the kits were not worth the risk.

I just want to stretch the mpg more and more. It's almost become a game / hobby.

Looks like I'll use my gas savings to get a used prius prime in 2021 lol

#3 Ronn82727, Aug 1, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
    bisco likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agree with mm. engineer is kerput, along with many others. pip made them obsolete because they were either too expensive, or too much maintenance.
    save your money for a pip, they are going for cheap. all the best!(y)

5. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think I understand. You want to make from a regular Prius a Plug-in by adding a plug-in battery pack kit ?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you are correct.

7. Piotrus Pan

Piotrus Pan Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I can't find that video right now but I remember that Plug-in has a slightly different gear ratios and stronger electric engine. I don't think I would try to make a Plug-in version out of a regular Prius.

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it has been done many times, by desperate people who wanted the ev experience before the pip came out. as explained above though, it's not worth it anymore.

9. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    You bought the wrong car if you want to drive in EV.
    I used to have Enginer kit installed. It worked great while it lasted. Unfortunately, the converter couldn't handle 90f temp let alone 110f temps we have in the summer. Reliability is an issue for aftermarket kits.
    Aftermarket kits can't travel at 62MPH in electric because it doesn't modify any thing in the car. If your Prius can't travel at 62MPH, adding more battery won't allow it to.
    Regular Prius max out at 43 to 45MPH in EV pending on how you drive it. It's the way it's built. It's a hybrid, pulse and glide is your best option. Again, you bought the wrong car if you want EV only.