1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After Market Wheels

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by Passthepump, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Passthepump

Passthepump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Im interested in changing out the wheels on my 2013 Prius V 5 Blizzard White. I currently have the stock wheels and tires (215/50R17). I have a few questions on keeping the same tires (only 9k miles) and buying new wheels :
    1. What online store should I check out?
    2. What happens with the TPMS? I'll reuse the same monitors in the new wheels. Does Toyota service have to get involved?

2. mediahound

mediahound Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four

No, any competent tire shop can just move the TPMSes from your current wheels to the new ones. This is usually included in the mounting/balancing charge and nothing would need to be reset in your Prius computer or anything.

3. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Look up wwwTirerack.com u can even see what the wheels will look like on your car, with there website.

4. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    You need to establish the stock 10-spoke rim width, offset/backset and hub centric (center hole) diameter in order to be sure that your new rims and tires will fit and clear the hub, brake and suspension components. Check the v page on PC for this data or you are left to rely on a vendor's statement that the rims will fit.

5. PriusIA

PriusIA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    A related question that I hope the OP finds useful: How do you know if a wheel is durable? Things like will it retain its finish and not damage easily. What aspects should you look for?

6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Purchase quality wheels, from a manufacture who has been around for a long time, if possible stay away from cheap china made wheels, Japanese, German wheels are the best. I also have had good experience with TSW wheels, not too expensive.

7. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Something to keep in mind is that wheel styles come and go. I bought a set of aftermarket wheels from Tire Rack to use with snow tires on one of our cars and the wheels were discontinued within a couple of years. If one of these aftermarket wheels ever gets trashed, I'll be looking for a complete set of wheels and will likely buy only OEM wheels.

8. Passthepump

Passthepump Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks for all your input. Im thinking of going with a painted black wheel, 5 spoke on my Blizzard Pearl using the OEM tires 215/50 R17 (9k miles). Anyone out there have this combination or similar? Here's what I've learned so far:

1. Tirerack.com seems to be a good place to look.
    2. I can have a mobile tire installer come to the house and install the new wheels for $25 each
    3. The bolt pattern is 5-114
    4. The tirerack rep told me that most all of their wheels are manufactured in Asia.....Aka China
    5. I can use the same TPMS sensors and they will reconnect automatically with the TPMS monitor

I would like to keep the out the door price under $600. Is there a resale market for the Prius V 5, 10 spoke wheel, or should I hang on to them?

9. PriusIA

PriusIA New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know why I hadn't thought of that before but that's definitely something to remember.

10. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Also consider that "NLS" aftermarket wheels circulate on ebay -- often at a significant discount...

11. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    A potential problem with that plan is that finding a particular low volume aftermarket wheel in the correct size and offset after a wheel has been discontinued may not be feasible when one is up $#!+ creek with a severely bent wheel on a car you need to get back on the road.

Unless buying a generic aftermarket wheel that uses a wheel cover, consider buying at least one extra wheel when purchasing an aftermarket set.

I suppose this is more important for those who keep their cars a long time. Our 2012 Prius v replaced a Camry that was owned 14 years which replaced a Honda Accord that was owned 12 years. The extra wheels we bought to use with snow tires on the Prius are easily obtained steel wheels that use wheel covers.

12. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five

Run your spare while you bid? In 45 years of driving, average car retention 12 years, I have never bent or broken a wheel, FWIW.

13. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Ditto!

14. gmdog2

gmdog2 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Here are some 18" TSW's....

Attached Files:

PearlJammer, NadaMucho and orenji like this.
  15. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    There are wheel repair places, so I am not sure if you really need to buy a spare wheel for that reason. (If I remember correctly: When talking to staff at the place I bring wheels to as long as the area where the wheel mounts to the vehicle is intact, it can be repaired, meaning most damage is repairable. You'd have to have damage to the lug area for them to not be able to repair.)

One concern is that most aftermarket wheels in my experience have a larger center bore to accommodate various vehicles, (they are generic.) This requires, (although some say it is not necessary,) the use of hub centric rings. Sometimes in the unfortunate incident when you have a flat tire and you need to change to the spare, they are difficult to remove. (My friend had this experience and reported it to me, hence the reason I know.) First thing I would do is check if I can remove the ring, and then possibly buy a spare wheel/tire combo. My friend's experience was not pleasant to say the least. I'm not sure if a full size spare would fit where the current temporary spare goes though...

I actually tried selling my set of wheels, tires, and sensors, but got no takers. Might have been the price though....

16. David SSS

David SSS New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Enkei 18" Lowered

photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG

h-dogg and NadaMucho like this.
  17. NadaMucho

NadaMucho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Your V looks really nice....more pictures!

18. h-dogg

h-dogg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  19. David SSS

David SSS New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Megan Coilovers

20. Eric "v"

Eric "v" Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    PC240533.JPG LIGHTEST PRIUS v WHEELS

I changed my 16" Two model wheels to 17" X 6" ENKEI RPF1 wheels. They are absolutely the lightest wheels I could find anywhere with the gen III Prius bolt pattern and proper offset.

Yeah, I briefly thought about 18" wheels but i wanted the lightest I could find and 18" RPF1 wheels were just too much more weight. Rotational mass is nearly 2 times the effective weight as static weight on the car. That's one reason super cars have carbon brake rotors.

I put Yokohama YK 580 V-rated tires on the ENKEI rims. They are a Discount tire tread pattern but the body is Yokohama's top end tire with orange oil in the tread compound for better gas mileage and wet traction.

Photo here also shows car after install of Tanabe lowering springs. (Hood accidentally left partially open after photographing cold air intake.)

#20 Eric "v", Nov 17, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2015