1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After much debate, I did it! 2012 Prius (Extended warranty, replacement key)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ColorguardJames, Aug 27, 2017.

1. ColorguardJames

ColorguardJames Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The included "Walser Warranty for Life" doesn't cover the hybrid components, which is why they're offering the extra warranty for $2,500.

2. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wish I had an option of a warranty that covered the hybrid components for $2,500. I would have purchased one- assuming it covers the traction battery. Just make sure it covers as many traction batteries that you need, in case they give you a rebuilt battery that doesn't last long.

The IPM (Intelligent Power Module) has been the weak link among the components, imo. And that will likely have a 15 year/unlimited miles warranty attached to it.

3. ColorguardJames

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    To clarify for everyone, the Walser Limited Powertrain Warranty is included with the vehicle purchase price. The $2,500 warranty is an ADDITIONAL warranty that includes coverage for more components, including the hybrid drive, battery, etc. Those aren't covered under the included warranty.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The usual majority general consensus is to NOT pay for an extended or extra warranty.
    BUT?
    You're buying a 5 model year old Prius, if it gives you peace of mind? $2500 more isn't that bad an investment IMO.
    Just make sure you know EXACTLY what is covered and for how long.

But at $2500, one failure of a major hybrid component could have that warranty easily pay for itself.

I myself have never bought a extended warranty, but it all comes down to what you want to do, I don't think it's unreasonable to keep the warranty.

Another aspect to evaluate, is if it's a dealership based warranty, how confident and happy are you with the dealership service department. If the warranty locks you into dealing with a service department you may not like?

5. sprdav33

sprdav33 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
  6. Moving Right Along

Moving Right Along Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah, okay. If the additional $2500 covers all the hybrid components for as long as you own the car, then it very well could be worth it - especially if you're planning to keep the car for a while.

7. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota Platinum Warranty (from Toyota Finance Services): $2k. Kicks in primarily from years 4 to 8 or 125k miles, whichever comes first. Doesn't cover traction battery.

Anticipated Walser $2,500 Warranty: $2.5k. In this case, covers years 6 through the life of the car under single ownership. Unlimited miles. Covers traction battery. Plus, the engine/powertrain is also covered for life, IIRC.

If this is a real offer, I'd definitely sign up for it.

8. Joaquim Silva

Joaquim Silva Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For a 2013 Prius, got the key for $98 off eBay. Dealer programmed the fob key for $125 and laser cut the key for additional $40. My dealership had no trouble doing it even though I got it elsewhere.

9. ColorguardJames

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I contacted the dealer and they were able to go through a local locksmith to get me the key at $250. Also, I'm really considering not keeping the warranty, putting the $2,500 towards the principal and paying the vehicle off in a little over 2 years. The quicker I pay it off, the faster I can save for an emergency fund, which could come in handy should work need to be done down the road.

Johnny Cakes likes this.
  10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I like the sound of that. How long have you got before you can't back out? Don't leave it too late.

All of these warranties, regardless of the up front math and viability, I'm always wondering: if and when a problem arises, are they going to come through, or is there going to some weasel-out clause, or the company has folded, or??

Grit likes this.
  11. ColorguardJames

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I contacted the company that administers the extended warranty I purchased and it does NOT cover batteries. I will be getting that warranty refunded towards the principal.

Mendel Leisk and Prodigyplace like this.
  12. eliteconcept

eliteconcept 700 mile club, top tank mpg 69.5

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    slow down there hoss. It all depends on your dealer. I got quoted approx $280ish for a replacement key, and then i decided to "find" the techstream application, and buy a key on ebay for $80, and get a vci cable for about $30 and bam $110 replacement key.

13. MelonPrius

MelonPrius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the update. I was about to pm you about contact info for the insurance provider, until I saw your post. Although I'm hoping to be proven wrong, I don't think there is a reputable outfit that will offer a lifetime warranty on the traction battery for roughly the cost of replacing it. With that kind of policy, in theory, a company can only hope that you'll sell the car or total the car before the battery dies.

14. ColorguardJames

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yeah, I probably should've gone that route! All together it was $250 for the replacement through a vendor the dealer goes through for cheaper keys.