1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

After-the-Fact Sway Bar Bushing Lubricant?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, Jan 11, 2023.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I paid someone to install new front sway bar bushings on my 2009 with 210k miles. These new bushings were essentially OEM equivalents from a company called White Line Performance.

The impetus to replace the bushings was a clunking sound in the front end when the road was rough and potholed. The new bushings eliminated the clunking.

But now a year later the new bushings squeaking mightily. Both sides, loud enough to compete with the radio, and as annoying as the clunking of the old bushings.

Can anyone recommend a lubricant and injection method that might reduce the squeaking without going to the trouble of re-installing fresh bushings?

Did the shop that installed the bushings fail to lubricate them?

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ask the shop what they ordinarily do for this problem and let us know? If I had to figure this out I'd start out with putting some light oil, I usually use Olive Oil on a rag or paper towel and coat the bushings as best you can after you clean it... Then if that doesn't work I'd do what this guy did and reposition the assembly slight by spinning the bolts a bit:

3. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Isn't the purpose of a bushing to prevent metal-to-metal contact? So they don't require lubrication. The only time I've heard of them needing lube is if they are starting to dry-rot so a lube may prolong the life. Some bushings can start squeaking (a big problem in Chevy's) but I haven't heard of it happening in Toyotas.

4. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    These are the end link assemblies I don't think they get lubricated per se The ball joint behind the rubber is lubricated from the factory matter of fact I think they're now sealed somewhat so that no lubing is required used to be there was a small bolt on the back of a joint similar to this and you screw a zerk fitting into that then Grease here they've done away with this step. I guess what you could do when you're putting them on fresh is put the joint and the nut through the piece on your strut that it goes through loosely and just pump it up and down like them old water hand pump on the farm and try to work the grease around in the joint before you install it so that maybe this won't start in the first place seems like that would happen if the joints just sat in the box same side up on the shelf for years with Gen 2 parts possible these things here these end links I bought some heavy things from move they don't even look like the stamp steel business they're much I know they're heavier affair I wouldn't say buy a whole lot but they're pretty heavy duty looking I don't think they were that expensive I bought a pair early when I got a Gen 2 the first time I actually didn't use them they're still here in the shop brand new in the box

5. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Guys, I think we're talking past each other. I'm talking about squeaky sway bar **bushings**, not the sway bar links. (If sway bar links squeak it probably means that they are rusty?)

These are what sway bar bushings look like. They are made from squishy rubber and are split so that you can wrap them around the sway bar without installing them from the distant ends of the sway bar.

I have never known if Toyota recommends lubricating sway bar bushings when replaced, and my precarious relationship with the guys that installed my new ones precludes me inquiring whether they lubricated them or with what.
    upload_2023-1-11_14-46-3.png

6. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Are they rubber or coloured nylon looking type? Often the original rubber bushes are replaced with the nylon type bushes and these should be lubricated with graphite grease when installed. This should last the life of the bushings, then the whole process is repeated. If the nylon bushes were not greased when installed, they are most likely chewed out by now, the metal bar rips into the nylon if there isn't any lubrication used when first installed.
    The original rubber bushes shouldn't be lubricated, the rubber supplies its own form of lubricant until it dries out and the bush chews out and requires replacing. The properly lubricated nylon type will last at least twice as long as the rubber ones, but they do transfer body noise a lot more than the sound insulation rubber ones.

T1 Terry

SFO likes this.
  7. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I call those "sway bar FRAME bushings". The short answer is no, going to have to remove and refit them.

The stock bushings are synthetic rubber, compressed against the bar by the mounting brackets. There is no "movement" between the rubber and the bar. Rotate things within the designed limits and the rubber flexes. Quiet & cheap, but squishy- so there is more deflection.

As the rubber ages it gets less flexible. When it can no longer flex enough, you get "slip" at the rubber to metal junction which chews up the bushing. Looseness and thumps follow.

Your "performance" bushings are synthetic elastomer (like polyurethane). Very little flex by design, so there is movement of the bar in the bushing. These must be greased when installed, and at some point need more grease. Some designs incorporate zerk fittings into the mounting brackets for maintenance.

Can't say if your installer greased them or not- these aren't "stock" replacements (rubber bushings are never lubricated).

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If those are performance poly bushings yeah there going to sqeek. Just about all of them do. That's why the factory uses rubber.

The plastic has gotten a little worn. Just spray some lube on it don't use WD40 your car will stink. It will be a constant maintenance issue though.

9. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Keyboarding is a way I assimilate stuff I read, so let me do that here to everyone's replies for my own benefit:

1. God never intended rubber bushings for heavily loaded joints but sway bar frame bushings (good new name!) are an exception because their angle of movement is probably less than +/-5 degrees

2. Factory bushings are very soft by design and no lubricant is used. The bolted clamp around the bushing intentionally squeezes it with great force so that there is no movement at steel/rubber interfaces. Instead there is shear deformation inside the rubber bushing to accommodate movement of the sway bar.

3. As the bushing ages and cold weather sets in (like now in Indiana) the rubber bushing gets harder and shrinks. Hardening makes the bushing resist shear deformation. Shrinking of the bushing makes the steel/rubber interface more likely to slip and cause a squeaking sound.

Squeaking probably results from slip movement at both the bushing's ID and OD interface.

4. I could splash silicone oil on the bushing and maybe subdue the squeak noise, but doing this will guarantee that the era of silent shear deformation in the bushing comes to a final end. Future rotation of the sway bar will happen because the steel/rubber interface slips. When the silicone oil drains away or dries, the squeak will return as well as erosion of the rubber bushing.

5. Owning a Prius was more fun when I was dumb and happy.

10. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Fairly good write up but not quite 100%.

Almost all factory suspension bushings on most car are rubber. Cheap and quiet. The design of each individual part has to take into account ; size, loading, stiffness (transmitted shock and vibration), range of travel, etc.

By design, all of these rubber bushings flex. Age and wear results in separation with metal to rubber movement. You might get some "creaking" noise but the bushing has failed and is wearing (causing looseness) rapidly. Squeaking noises on most cars result from some type of metal on metal movement.

The "performance" bushings that were installed on your car are a type of hard plastic that isn't designed to flex much. It is supposed to move at the metal to bushing interface which is why it needs grease. On a regular basis.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. T1 Terry

T1 Terry Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    About all I can add to that, when you remove the bushing, make sure the steel parts don't have rubber built up on them but rather are clean and smooth. Graphite grease will last the life of the nylon type bushing, if it dries out and squeak starts, the bushing needs replacing and use plenty of grease when you reassemble it. About the only other grease that will do the job is called valve and o ring grease, generally available from good bearing supply shops, it is a silicon grease so won't react with rubber or the nylon type bushings and won't dry out .... but it isn't cheap .....

T1 Terry