1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket alarm & bulky key

Discussion in 'Prius c Audio and Electronics' started by vdefender, Feb 19, 2013.

1. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Alright. I really want to put an aftermarket alarm on my Prius C.

I have always had an aftermarket alarm on my vehicles. I like having my key chain go off if my car is broken into, and I like having the car automatically lock itself after a minute or so. I can forget to lock my vehicles sometimes and I never had to worry that way.

However, This is the first car of mine where the factory key fob is built into the key itself. It's massively bulky and annoying to me. Does anyone know if its possible to have a new key made which doesn't have the factory lock/unlock buttons? After I have an alarm installed, it will have it's own fob, so there is definitely no use in carrying around two key fobs in my pocket.

2. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I will post a reply in the next day or two if nobody else has. I am beginning to research the same thing. I will be installing a Viper 5704 in my "C" very soon

3. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Just an update. I will installing a Clifford alarm tomorrow(most likely) and I've determined that the valet key that came with my prius c can be used as a regular key, it just doesn't have the bulky fob buttons. So I think I'll set aside my two 'master' keys, and just use my valet key and hook it to my new aftermarket fob.

4. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How did the install go?

5. vdefender

vdefender Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Good! Well I had CarToys install the alarm. I'll do just about any car work / installs, but I avoid doing car alarms myself.
    The alarm works great, the remote on it even has a rechargable battery, so I don't have to go through 1 AAA per month like my old alarm. Also I am using my valet key as my normal key because my aftermarket alarm remote has the lock/unlock buttons, there is no need to carry around the key which has those bult in. From what I can tell the valet key works just fine with the car, even though it does actually have a different shape at the tip of it when compared with the regular keys.