1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket android radio upgrade

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by nicoj36, Feb 20, 2019.

1. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I have always had this one work perfectly with all my Android devices.

Panlong Bluetooth OBD2 OBDII Car Diagnostic Scanner Check Engine Light for Android - Compatible with Torque Pro

Not sure why it won't post the URL
    Amazon.com/dp/B00PJPHEBO/ref=cm_sw_r_em_apa_i_TipRDbJ2TWBQT

#21 vendingtech, Oct 20, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2019
  2. vendingtech

vendingtech Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
  3. tevk

tevk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Good to know, thanks! I was looking at those and didn't know if the cheap ones would work - weird that there are ODBII readers ranging from $10-$100, not sure what the difference is besides supplied software, since it's a standard interface...

4. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    After about five months of use, I replaced my 9" Android stereo with regular touchscreen JVC unit. The android does everything: radio, music, maps, bluetooth, web browsing, games, movies, car-apps like Torq and Dr. Prius etc., but the one thing I use it most for, listening to my HQ music files, it just does just an okay job at it. Sound quality is maybe average at best. It was listed at 4x50 watts per channel max, this is a lie. It's likely around 15-16 watts RMS (my guess), which is plenty for the stock speakers or aftermarket speakers that do not require higher end power. I have mid-level aftermarket speakers.

So I'm selling it, decided to post it here first before I try eBay. I paid $189.00 (plus the cost of a few adapters/accessories which will be included), I'm asking $120.00 and I will cover the shipping cost.

If you're looking for great sound or a unit to build an audiophile system around, THIS IS NOT THE UNIT FOR YOU. If you're happy with the stock sound/speakers and you want to add a nice 9" screen adorning your dash to impress the ladies/gents that does practically everything, this might be the unit for you. It's basically an Android tablet with radio/stereo functions added. Comes with Android 9.0.

Installing is very straight forward and it’s practically plug and play. It's held in place by the pressure of the trim pieces alone, I was surprised, but it's very secure, didn't have a problem here. The left side isn't flush, sits about 1/8 of an inch lower, but a bit of weather stripping behind the unit will lift and fix that minor gap.

The radio works greats for FM, but I could never get AM to work. There's multiple settings in the diagnostic/setting screen where you can set regions, not sure if I was just doing something wrong here.

It's supposed to play practically every format of audio and video file. I know mp3, mp4, avi, wav, mov, flac and mkv work.

It has two USB ports, one connects into the stock unit port, the other you can run wherever you like, or not use, I ran mine under the stereo next to the factory 12volt outlet, see previous page of this thread for pics of that. One plug is set up for mirroring your phone to the screen, it's labelled.

The audio in factory ports plugs in directly.

There are multiple options for audio out, video out, Front-Cam in, video in and subwoofer out if you’re interesting in expanding.

There is a microphone on the front of the unit, it's just okay good, there is an in port for an extra microphone on the back of the unit. If I was installing this unit again, I'd buy a cheap $7.00 dollar microphone from Amazon or eBay and run the mic either right behind the steering wheel, top of the left A-Pillar or on the sun visor.

Aftermarket Reverse Camera: My car didn't come with a reverse camera, I added my own 12volt camera and the unit has a +12volts out wire when you go into reverse, so it was just a matter of splicing this 12volts out to the camera's positive wire and the radio's reverse-trigger wire.

Factory Reverse Camera: It's supposed to also be plug and play for 3rd gen Prius' that have a factory reverse camera, but I can't verify it as I went the aftermarket path with the camera. There are a few wires and plugs I didn't use with my car, so these could be for the factory camera connections. I can't say for certain though, so if you have a factory camera, you might have an issue and it might require some trial and error testing.

I will include the bluetooth OBDII scanner I bought ($12.00) for free, it connects to the unit via bluetooth without dropping your phone's buetooth connection. It lets you use various car-apps such a Torque/Torq-Lite and Dr. Prius. I used both of those.

If you're interested, please send me a PM, first come first serve. Happy to answer any questions. I will be checking my PMs every couple of days for the next month or so, after that off to eBay it goes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#24 GFO, Mar 3, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  5. dancingbalu

dancingbalu Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hey to all.

When using the factory mounted camera, does any Android can connect to that too? And also able to use the intelligent parking assist? Would be very useful then.

Dominik

6. dancingbalu

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

Can you show me a link for the Adapter used to plugin the original rear camera? Would be kewl. And do you also have the IPA working, if installed in your car?

7. Attila Fekete

Attila Fekete Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If my memory doesn’t cheat me, then the IPA version have the rear camera video signal via the IPA ECU and the connector is the same. So if you can connect the video to the Android HU, it will work.

8. dancingbalu

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ah ok. brings me a little step further. but still needing an idea for the oem camera to connect.

9. GFO

GFO Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I didn't use an adapter, as my car didn't come with a reverse camera and I installed an aftermarket one when I used the android radio. When I went to the JVC stereo, the adapter that came with that from Crutchfield thankfully worked with my aftermarket camera.

But this is probably what you're looking for: PAC CAM-TY11 Backup Camera Cable

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_541CAMTY11/PAC-CAM-TY11-Backup-Camera-Cable.html

You might run into an issue for the trigger signal to the radio depending, as the Prius OEM camera I believe is only 6volts and most aftermarket radios require a 12volt signal to activate.

#29 GFO, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2020
  10. Shahzad Nayyar

Shahzad Nayyar Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How does it work in sun glare? I am using a 7 inch screen but results in sun are not good
    20200919_111730.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

11. A.J. Mahon

A.J. Mahon New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Two
    Do all of your swc functions work? I know that you can make audio functions work with some tinkering, but I am more interested in whether or not the trip / destination / display controls are working. I have the same deck (at least it looks the same), but now that I disconnected the OEM head unit, I am no longer able to adjust the trip info, change the display for mileage that.

12. kc5dlo

kc5dlo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    Thats weird. Those buttons should be completely separate of the radio functions both with the OEM and new head unit.