1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket backup camera for a 2013 non-nav

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by aberns, Sep 4, 2020.

1. aberns

aberns Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey everyone.

I got a great deal on a used 2013 Prius two (finally replacing my beloved 2004) and I'd like to add a backup camera to it, but I definitely don't have the skills to install it myself like the folks in the pinned thread.

I'm willing to do aftermarket or whatever, but I'd rather not get one that adds another whole LCD to the dashboard. What are my options in 2020? I'd prefer not to spend too much money, like more than a couple hundred.

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There are mirror-based ones so you can replace your rearview mirror with a auto-dimming one with built-in screen for a backup camera.

I'm not sure if you mean "add another whole LCD to the dashboard" means adding the MFD and replacing the radio headunit or just adding a small 4" screen atop the dashboard like a portable nav unit.

One option is wiring it up to a headunit that has a screen (so that requires acquiring a screen).

The other is finding an aftermarket one that comes with a screen that you just attach on top of the dashboard like a portable nav unit.

3. Ed Beaty

Ed Beaty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "The other is finding an aftermarket one that comes with a screen that you just attach on top of the dashboard like a portable nav unit."

Saw one on a thread here a day or so ago that connected to a smartphone. Price was about 30USD. Search might find it.

Maybe try THIS link for starters...

Similar to the one I saw here; alarmingly cheap, but pretty good reviews...

#3 Ed Beaty, Sep 4, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
  4. aberns

aberns Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks!

So my Prius has the MFD, it just doesn’t have nav or a backup cam. I guess my ideal situation would be a backup cam whose feed shows up on the installed factory MFD. Is this possible for under a couple hundred bucks? I don’t have the skill, like I said, to install it on my own (like in the pinned post)

5. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ahh ok. Well I mean if you have basic skills on how to take apart and out things together if you had a step-by-step direction, I’d imagine you’d be fine (and just need to buy the camera itself). I haven’t taken apart a Gen 3 so I don’t know the difficulty level but I have installed an iPod adapter to my old 2005 and it was simple (plug and play). I’m not someone who tinkers so it was easy for me to follow instructions that another member produced.

The pinned thread seems more complicated than I’d imagine.

6. aberns

aberns Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh, that's great news. Yeah, I took apart my Gen 2 a number of times--adding an iPod adapter, replacing speakers, that sort of thing. I was just scared off by the talk of splicing and soldering wires and stuff. As long as it's plug and play I can probably handle it.

Any chance there's a consensus on the best camera/wiring kit for this? Or someone with experience with some different ones? Just wouldn't want to buy something that ended up not working, or wasn't the right voltage for plug and play, etc.

7. ASRDogman

ASRDogman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you go on ebay and type in "auto camera for rear view mirror" you will get a bunch of front and rear
    camera sets that attaches to the rear view mirror. That is what I have. And I also made sure I bought the
    one that records the rear view also. But it will also work as a backup camera.
    I would recommend installing the rear camera INSIDE the car in the center of the lower window on the rear deck.
    It is NOT water proof. Though they say it is.
    Also, you will need an micro sd card, 32gb. Get the HIGH ENDURANCE one. The others will only work for a short
    time, and they they will fail. You won't even be able to format them anymore.

8. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh ok so at least you have some experience taking apart your Gen 2.

I don’t, unfortunately. I never did add a backup camera to my 2005.