1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Backup Camera Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by The Phoenix, Apr 23, 2019.

1. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    My new to me 2011 Prius does not have a backup camera and I really miss it from my 08 Prius that had one. There is a few little things I miss and I didn't realize that they were only included in higher trim levels, whereas on my 08 they all seemed standard even though it was a low trim level, but I digress. I found that Garmin sells a wireless back up camera that wirelessly broadcasts to your GPS unit. So I'm looking into it and the camera needs to be wired into a switched power source like the reverse lights or a constant power source. The camera wire needs to get to this power source and than those wires need to be plugged into a transmitter. So my question is, is there access to reverse wiring in the panel where the license plate access is? My thinking is even though my car currently doesnt have a back up camera those wires still exist at the point of where it should be "plugged in" I will do more research here on Prius Chat as well. As always thank you for any ideas or information.

2. marvingloria2011

marvingloria2011 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I doubt that the wiring would be there since the back up lights are in the tail lights, not the trunk lid. Seems to me you would have to run the wiring through the trunk lid, into the car and then run it to either one of the reverse lights if you want to install it like the factory back up cameras just above the license plate.

3. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You’re in the wrong forum area. To get started, there’s a long sticky thread that covers it:

2010 Toyota Prius model II Head Unit Upgrade | PriusChat

You need to tap the reverse light at the fuse near the steering wheel so your Garmin knows when to display the camera input.

On the camera/transmitter side, it’s best to tap the reverse light, unless that wireless transmitter takes a long time to start up.

marvingloria2011 likes this.
  4. The Phoenix

The Phoenix Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you, I am looking into routing the wires up to the boot at the "top" of my hatch and than back down the side to get at the reverse light. The signal from the camera transmits wirelessly to my Garmin so I will not need to do any wiring under the dash but I will for sure look at that thread for any wiring tips I can get. Thank you again for all the information thus far.

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I’m happy to help. I did a complete backup camera install in 2010.

How is the Garmin signaled to display the video signal from the camera? I assumed it was Reverse pin from fuse box, unless it works differently.

6. marvingloria2011

marvingloria2011 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the info on that. I was thinking of replacing my head unit with an aftermarket Android head unit from eBay. Printed this info out.