1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Catalytic Converter Install

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rogerthat, Jul 30, 2021.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Clearing the code will have cleared the status of the catalyst efficiency monitor. If the car is taken for inspection before the monitor is able to complete, they'll just say it can't be inspected yet. Once it's been driven enough to have a current monitor result again, inspection will pass or fail based on that.

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Roger,

which aftermarket model did you install? Curious because I've installed a handful and I'm just waiting for the day a code or two pop up.

3. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Same Ebay one you had originally recommended. None of yours log any p0420 codes yet?

PriusPaddler likes this.
  4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    None, and just did another one today.

PriusPaddler likes this.
  5. Ultimate_Combination

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

UPDATE:
    - $12 O2 Sensor M18 x 1.5 Spacer
    [​IMG]

Man, time flies! I see that it's been a little over a year since this Cat was installed, and I wish to discuss the CEL P0420 code.

I originally thought at first that the cause may have been the pipe needing to be welded to seal any loose exhaust leaks from the included Clamps that came with this kit, but after months of driving and observations I see that the code P0420 always returns a day after clearing and my Mom drives the car (slow and steady city driving) vs. No Code whenever I drive the car (spirited city and interstate speeds and traveling) LOL.

P0420 searches on Google show many posts here on PriusChat and YouTube vids regarding adding a spacer adapter between the O2 sensor and pipe, so it's lead me to purchasing the following:

90 Degree Sensor Extender Sensor Spacer Spark Plug Adapter M18 x 1.5

Google shows there are quite a number of brands, however they all appear to originate from AliExpress, so your best bet is to find a seller w/ good reviews from eBay, Amazon or in my case, from WalMart.

Install was quite easy- (especially after I had to rent an O2 Sensor Socket kit from O'Riellys) however I noticed that when you install this with the included brass washer, the O2 sensor cable comes very close to the pipe- as without the washer, the wiring dangles at a downward angle that will sure to scrape the ground or get ripped out from any debris in the road. I'll be sure to keep a watch on those wires over time.

It's been almost 2 weeks and 2 fill-ups with no more P0420 from either driving style!

TL;DR- adding $12 more to this fix to eliminate the P0420 CEL a year later after aftermarket Cat install

#65 Ultimate_Combination, Oct 24, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2022
  6. rogerthat

rogerthat Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    After I cleared the code and about 500+ miles later, it has yet to return. I had been thinking back on the day the code popped up - I had been driving on a long section of road with the adjacent lane being resurfaced. Heavy asphalt fumes/smell for 20 minutes. Is there any way this could have contributed to the P0420 code - somehow fumes backfeeding through exhaust when sitting in traffic??

Ultimate Combo - good to hear that spacer works if left with no other choice.

7. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
  8. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    SO. After reading through this thread...I'm thinking about selling my OEM CAT on my 2008 to somebody who lives in a CARB State like CA or CT,CO...who needs it and can keep their car on the road longer without scrapping another car for the junkyards of our country and causing more pollution for our children to inherit............................and to make $1,000 to be able to repaint my prius and buy new parts to keep it on the road as long as possible and save money.......too pay for my daughter's tuition so she can become a pediatric ortho............to help other's children live better lives. :);) So I plan on have a new OEM Gasket and 90 degree M18 x 1.5 O2 sensor extension handy to help with the install. Thanks to all the feedback.(y)

9. Ultimate_Combination

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Pioneerscot likes this.