1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Charger Recommendations for the Prime?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by HappyJuice8000, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I installed a Juicer, $499 and tapped off my clothes dryer using two additional outlet boxes. One in the garage and one in the washroom. Additional cost: # 10 wiring plus new 50 amp CB. I now charge at half the time but at the same cost as 120 Volts.

bisco likes this.
  2. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That is a terrific price, free shipping?

3. Andyprius1

Andyprius1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's only the cable and connector, the OP was searching for a L2 charging box. If you order from Juicer you get the cable and plug with it. $499.00

4. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Wouldn't you need #6 for 50 amps? #10 is for 30 amps ?
    To prevent fire, you might wanna reduce the CB to 30 amps

Opps... never mind. The length of the cable also determines gauge.

#24 I'mJp, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
  5. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    No he wasn't. See original question below.

But we really don't know WHAT he wants because he hasn't been back to clairfy.......and others have taken over the thread.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    he's happy, that's all that matters.

7. jZerbe0011

jZerbe0011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Do you fully charge the Prime at night on a L1 charger?
    Because if you do you'll be drawing the same current off of your batteries.

Watts = amps x volts

8. jZerbe0011

jZerbe0011 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    10ga wire and a 50A breaker is a fire waiting to happen.

9. David Schwartz

David Schwartz New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Ok, let me say I am not new to Hybrid or EV world, I have had Toyota Hybrids since the 2005 Prius and I also now have a 2014 Leaf which is a Pure EV car, so I have a lot of charging station experience.

The Prime has a smaller EV battery than the normal EV only cars, so its charging needs are less. The fact that in about 5-6 hours on household current with the OEM card it can fully charge indicates that. I currently (pardon the pun) use a product called the "Turbo Cord" which is available on Amazon for $500 (you don"t need the more expensive version because you have a 120v cord). (PM me for a link to Amazon since the forum does not trust me) This cord lets you plug into a 220v 20a outlet which you can easily add to your house. It won"t use as much current as a Dryer so you don"t need the higher capacity circuit. The advantage of this cord is it is cheaper to purchase, install and is portable so you can convince your friends to put on outlet in their house and you can visit them for 2 hours and get a full 25 mile charge (I actually get closer to 30!). I have this setup at work and my Mom"s house and it works out great... Now if I can only get my apartment complex owner to put in one there.... I really need a house!

If you don't want a portable solution... you want an installed EVSE as they are called, then you can get the least expensive lowest Amp version since the car charges so quick on 20amp anyway. The car does not have the capability of using more amps to charge quicker unlike Tesla and other EVs. Here is one I would consider... (PM me for a link to Amazon since the forum does not trust me) It is only $429 but it does take a 30amp circuit so it might be harder to wire in your garage... the extra capacity is wasted as the car won"t charge faster using it.

10. shebobg

shebobg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What I'm understanding since I haven't received my Prime yet, is that you must carry your cord with you because if you need to charge at a 110V outet, there is NO cord there to use for charging. Only if you are charging at a 220V you won't need it since the cord is there at the station. Am I correct on this??

11. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Personally, I don't bother. The cord that comes with the car take 11 hours to charge. Not worth it in my opinion.

12. vern748

vern748 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Humm... what am I missing. I am charging mine every evening on the supplied cord and it takes about 4-5 hours to charge. ?!! Not sure about the 11 hours.

I'mJp likes this.
  13. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    Well, I stand corrected. I read in this forum prior to getting the car, so I had a level 2 installed before the car arrived.

So I better at least use the supplied one, so I don't give false information, and probably to make sure then one I have works !

bisco likes this.
  14. shebobg

shebobg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    If you go to someplace and you are there less time it takes to get a full charge, can you disconnect early.

15. ttait

ttait Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yes, when you push the button on the top of the connector to pull it out, it electrically disconnects the charger. If you disconnect before you're fully charged, the result is that you won't be fully charged. That's all.

vern748 likes this.
  16. shebobg

shebobg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks. On my way now to pick up my Prime....can't wait.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  17. vern748

vern748 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    True, but that is what the gas motor is for. You have no battery charge, just use the motor. You can go 300 +/- on the gas motor alone, getting 50 +/- MPG. No need to take the cord with you except if your planning to take a road trip. Even then your not likely to run an extension cord from your Motel6 to the street to charge the unit.

I have had my Prius for a few weeks now, but the only reason to carry the cord with me is if I am heading to mom's house and want to mouch off her power bill. Charge up and then head home.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't thing the engine is a replacement for charging, unless charging is unavailable. it would be less efficient, depending on the cost of electricity though.

19. vern748

vern748 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hi

Correct, but now we are splitting hairs. There is no doubt that having a full charge and that battery power is far more efficient, but getting 50 + MPG on just engine power is not slouch. For me, and this is a personal preference, your may differ. If I am heading out to dinner and it is 27 miles away and I run out of battery power, I am not going to drag my cable with me and plug in at place X where I don't want to eat. I will go to place Y, where I do want to eat ( and many miles from a charging station).

There is also a person on the forum that has plugged in once in the last month and primarily uses his Prius as a Hybrid. There are more people on here that have not used their first tank of gas. I find myself leaning more to the Hybrid end of things.

jmarkd7 and bisco like this.
  20. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    You can split your trip up.
    Ev from home, ev any where below 45.
    Hit the Highway, go to hv. The Ev range miles will more or less be preserved during the hv portion of your trip.
    Exit the Highway, slide back to EV.

On the return trip, EV till it runs out, hv the rest. Then do your max charge at home. You don't want to arrive at home with any EV left.