1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Cold Air Intake -- causing Red Triangle dash light and other lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius4ed, Mar 16, 2011.

1. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    My air cleaner box got damaged in a wreck. I installed a B&B Cold Air Intake (the company sent me the wrong adapters and for 2 years and 10 emails and phone calls the kit won't even fit onto the throttle body, so avoid this terrible vendor). I bought adapters using PVC adapters to make it fit. In the first engine start up, the RED TRIANGLE DASH LIGHT CAME ON! I took it off and installed an OEM air cleaner box (same MAF sensor) and disconnected the battery cable -- the Red Triangle went out! I put the Cold Air Intake back on, the Red Triangle came on! The ICE would not run, and the HV battery drained to zero til the car wouldn't move. I put the OEM airbox back on, the ICE started and car drove fine. Question: Using the same MAF sensor, the only difference was the air intake! The aftermarket intake kit uses a 4-in ID tube, and a free-flow air filter. What could the difference be to cause the Red Triangle light and prevent the ICE from running? Aftermarket kit vendor claims the engine will adjust itself to the new MAF sensor air flow signal, vs. the actual air flow, since a larger ID intake tube will have a slower flow velocity for the same mass air flow.

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, your personal experience proved that the vendor's assertion was without substance.

Have you tried (temporarily) running the gasoline engine with the original equipment air cleaner housing lid removed? No air filter is even better than a low restriction air filter.

If you find that the engine will run, then you'll have gained some evidence that the problem is the larger diameter intake tube.

The engine ECU depends very heavily on the mass air flow sensor to determine correct air/fuel mixture. The air/fuel ratio sensor also makes a contribution, but less so.

If you have a higher volume of air that is flowing at a lower rate, that will cause the MAF sensor hot wires to require less current flow to maintain a given temp. The engine ECU will conclude that the air flow is less than the actual rate, which would cause the ECU to restrict the amount of injected fuel. The end result is an excessively lean air/fuel mixture.

1 person likes this.
  3. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks so much, Patrick. I rely on & appreciate your replies to plan my next steps. I'll try removing the OEM airbox lid but sadly I'm beginning to doubt I can make the B&B cold air intake work. Used OEM airboxes are $100+. The B&B Kit cost $100. B&B won't respond to requests for the right adapter or refund. It is wasted money that could have bought a used OEM airbox. Well, 2 yrs ago the cold air kit was a lot cheaper (OEM was $200+). The only other thing is the B&B air filter is too restrictive; I'll try running the cold air intake kit without their filter to see if it trips the red triangle. The ECU is probably cutting back fuel, based on a low air flow MAF signal. A restrictive air filter may cause the low flow signal (so could the bigger diameter intake tube). Stay tuned....

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have no experience w/alternate air filter assemblies or CAIs, but when I used to frequent maxima.org (when I had an 02 Maxima), it seemed like people who mucked w/that ended up having MAFs fail. Seems not worth it to me.

Just my 2 cents.

5. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You're right on. I feel the Prius is a finely tuned and designed car. Did you see all the twists and turns and resonators along the intake tube just to quiet the air flow? With that much engineering detail, it's hard to suspect the air intake can be improved by changing it to an aftermarket CAI kit that won't even fit the throttle body (diameter 1/2 inch too big!!)!!