1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Engine Air Filter

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by NROhioPruis, Jun 25, 2008.

1. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Or Boost and spray..... Meth! :usa2:

2. problemchild

problemchild New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The same people who I posted about above tested EVERY air filter made on a 200,000 dollar flow bench. The tests were done by the pros. The final verdict was the GM OEM filter was the best for the trucks and the KN/UNI foam and cleanable filters were the WORST by a long shot. About the only thing the KN filter would stop was squirrels and small stones. It was allowing so much dirt to get into the engine it was unbelievable. I would not put that garbage on any motor I owned.

3. MR.K

MR.K Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yea but over 400 $ for a stock air box when yours is damaged ...50 $ sounds pretty good....

4. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You're in Cali right Bra...

First off... if the air filter/intake is not CARB approved, you wont pass smog.

Second... The stock air-box is very efficient.

Third... stay away from oiled-foam filters with modern electronic controlled sensors (MAF/MAP etc.) that get contaminated with the oil from the incoming air over that filter. These type of filters work quite well with a carb motor and someone that isn't too keen on changing dirty filters very often, but are a detriment to finely tuned and monitored fuel injected ones.

5. northwichita

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks for all the info, I learned a few things from them. I'll probably stick with oem filter, my question concerned reusing a stock filter after blowing it out with an air gun. I drive all day on dusty roads, and have been in the habit of cleaning the air filter in other cars every oil change, to minimize the cost of new ones. I shook the prius one out last week, got some dust out, it looked more like cloth/synthetic then paper.. Washable? A rural carrier.

I looked this up in my Bentley manual, says clean element with compressed air, if not extremely dirty , nothing about washing it.

6. GatorJZ

GatorJZ Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

Hate to burst your bubble, but the "pro" who conducted the "test" you are referring to, Username Spicer on bobistheoilguy, is a tree trimmer by profession, not exactly an engineer. He tested one application only and you can not extend his results across the board to all aplications of all filters. While I have some slight misgivings about K&Ns, they are FAR better filters than you are giving them credit for.

7. Rakimb17

Rakimb17 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    A little Meth never hurt anybody...lol

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed! Chris Chow of GN fame got me hooked on the stuff. I still have all my teeth though. :D

9. 60psi

60psi New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    a 2 1/2 lb huffy bike!