1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

aftermarket engine mounts?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by oil_burner, Sep 26, 2019.

1. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    has anyone replaced the engine mounts on their car with an aftermarket brand? My 06 definitely needs new engine mounts, they are completely worn and the engine rocks on acceleration/deceleration and transmits a lot of NVH into the cabin. I swapped an fresher engine in last winter but I had to reuse the old mounts, they were in very bad shape.

The awful thing is that though Toyota Canada the 3 OEM mounts are around $600, I refuse to spend that much on 3 pieces of rubber when the replacement engine itself was the same price. Toyota USA sells them for around $250 but I am so far away from the border it's not feasible for me to go get them.

The other concern I have is that rubber dries out and hardens after 7 years or so, which is why you don't run old tires on a car. Any Toyota OEM part I assume was manufactured for the 2nd gen around 2009 at the latest and has been sitting in a warehouse for 10 years now.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Used an aftermarket front mount on a Civic once, it was purchased at a local auto parts chain store and came with a lifetime warranty. Might've cost around $50 usd. Have you tried rockauto, or my new favorite Carid?

Another option is removing the mount(s), and after cleaning, tape up one side and inject/apply Goop, E6000 or ShoeGoo into the voids. All three products are about the same, though there may be various offerings in each product line. Be sure to get the one with the applicator tip and or be prepared to make a mess.

3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Rockauto appears to ship to Canada, never tried them though. Best US shippers are those that'll "embed" all duties/taxes, so you know what you're paying. Try a shopping cart, see what it adds up to, and don't forget the conversion to cdn $'s.

Took a peek, they can display prices in CDN funds:

upload_2019-9-26_9-46-17.png
    Put all available above in a shopping cart, entered my (west coast) postal code as shipping address, province/city fields auto-completed and this shipping info displayed:
    upload_2019-9-26_9-51-17.png

#3 Mendel Leisk, Sep 26, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2019
    Skibob likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Probably worthwhile to try once, see if you get dinged any extras. Hopefully it will run smooth, not surprises. I believe that's normally the case these days, buying from US online retailers.

FWIW: I did a private transaction with someone in the States semi-recently: they used Fedex to ship, and about a month later I got an invoice from Fedex, seeking extra compensation for duties/taxes incurred. I paid up, but it seemed pretty steep. :cautious:

5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The rock auto newsletter has a car of the month and plenty of them are from Canada. I would guess they are a go to place for parts.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. oil_burner

oil_burner Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    most excellent and many thanks to you

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If you order from them, please post how it goes. (y)