1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket head unit for model 2 2016 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by freakinfreak, May 5, 2016.

1. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I seen it came with one, but didn't know what it was for so I didn't plug it in. Everything seems to work fine without it.

2. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Gas Mizer!

Glad to hear your experience, that’s a good news for me.

I asked tech support before and got the answer about that w/o ODBII we will not have gauges and some others, so, little bit worry about it. No gauges is ok but others will be the concern.

3. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    To be honest, I didn't check the gauges but the tpms shows the tire pressure now, which is pretty snazzy.

4. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    TPMS is good enough, and keep car setting is very nice too.

5. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew I forgot to mention a few things. Yes, I did connect the OBD port to my car, and unlike some other posts I've seen my gauges do work properly on the latest maestro FW.(Coolant temp, RPM, engine load, etc.), and so do my TPMS display sensors.(You have to go through the options to identify tires, as by default it thinks the left two tires are the front two, and the right the back. This entails removing air from each tire one by one and telling the system which tire was just reduced.).

To my knowledge it is just gauges and TPMS that require the OBD port, and maybe some of the OEM settings like window opening with remote.

Also I mentioned switching audio sources on the MFD doesn't work. That is not entirely true. I can switch between XM, HDradio, aux, BT, and pandora. For some reason I cannot choose iPod, clicking it just does nothing through the MFD. When I select it from the head unit though the MFD then shows that I am on iPod and shows the song playing.

#105 liquidtenmillion, Oct 1, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  6. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks liquidtenmillion!

Now I have more confidence to change the HU with you guys’s information.

I’m in Taiwan and will need to purchase all the necessary harness and ADS-MRR. The HU might use Alpine F309 since its Chinese code GB18030 might be able to display Traditional Chinese for maps and phone book. iDatalink doesn’t support the radio models in Taiwan.

7. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi liquidtenmillion,

Can I ask you another question about how you connect the OBDII connector? Run the wire to left side parking break area or there’s another OBDII connector near the dash?

Thanks!

8. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I should have taken more pictures of my install. Essentially I routed it into the standard OBD connector by going left of the radio, past where the Start button is, behind the steering wheel, and then down into the OBD port through the kick panel area. The OBD connector only needs 2 pins, so there are lots of options to connect it. My plan is to just unplug it if I need to access the OBD port.

I did not see anything behind the dash, but I wasn't looking hard. You only need to tap the two wires though so it's definitely possible to connect without plugging into the standard OBD port. The maestro RR supports "auto disable" too, so if you plug in another OBD device and the maestro detects a conflict on the bus it will auto disable.

#108 liquidtenmillion, Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  9. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you!

It seems the fastest way is connecting the OBDII directly as your installation, of course taping only two wires is another way.

ADS pick up the signal from OBDII to provide parking brake output and reverse output, maybe more, but w/o OBDII connection then the backup camera still work that is a little bit confusing.

10. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No, the radio receives the reverse and parking brake through the TO2 harness through the respective wires that are already behind the head unit. The maestro does not receive/pass this information on.

The OBD connection is only for gauges and TPMS(and maybe factory settings like headlights/door lock behavior). The backup camera will work 100% if you leave the OBD disconnected I have verified this.

jerryxsara likes this.
  11. Gas Mizer

Gas Mizer Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    One
    TPMS works without the OBDII. So will some of the gauges.

jerryxsara likes this.
  12. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The information I got from ADS might not correct, but it’s a good news that OBDII isn’t related to TPMS and backup camera.

Thanks!

13. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Gas Mizer likes this.
  14. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I received all the accessories and W4400NEX today and installed on my 2016 Prius, most of the functions worked and the factory JBL amp has be retained, the TPMS didn’t work at the first time the OBDII not been plugged but I plugged the OBDII then TPMS works, not sure if the signal hasn’t been read at the first time or my car need OBDII for TPMS. Also, my factory GPS antenna has been retained by ADS ACC-SAT-T02.

I’m facing a problem that the FM reception is very bad, I use the antenna adapter like this
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-RTVvXsSjZ5x/p_26440LX11/Toyota-and-Lexus-Antenna-Adapter.html

The blue wire I connected it to blue/white wire on pioneer side which is providing 12V to amplifier and power antenna. The reception is far worse than the stock radio.

My stock radio is Fujisu and the antenna connector I attached a photo.
    47120F5C-5393-4975-A8CD-EDD89DC243B6.jpeg

Any suggestions?

15. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update the FM poor reception issue. After I changed another antenna adapter then it worked, and better than the stock radio.

The TPMS in my Maestro menu the tire location still not available, I’ll check with ADS see if they have any suggestion.

Thanks guys! I can’t replace my radio w/o your help.

16. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

There is a settings page in the TPMS screen.

Those settings pages scroll, even though they don’t have a scroll bar. So just press on the options and swipe up. You will see the position settings then.

17. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I can only see the Set Tire Location available from TPMS screen, if I access the function from OEM setting then it will be grayed out.

Does the climate control available in your Pioneer car feature? mine is grayed out.

18. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The climate information was never sent to the original head unit, so it’s also not sent to the aftermarket head unit.

That’s only there for those cars that don’t have physical buttons and have to use the touchscreen for climate controls.

19. jerryxsara

jerryxsara Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I got some response from ADS today, like you mentioned that they do not support climate in Toyota, some other brands be supported.

The other info is that the compass won’t show in our center dash since Pioneer doesn’t send compass info to there, but only Kenwood does, I saw Tundras with Rr can display compass in car’s dash.

Thanks!