1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket head unit for model 2 2016 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by freakinfreak, May 5, 2016.

1. Elt31987

Elt31987 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No just the units built-in 55x4

2. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    That is pretty good power for just a head unit. I have a 50wx4 amplifier and I can turn mine up to a pretty good volume.

3. Elt31987

Elt31987 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah plenty of power for my needs. Love it

4. EGM

EGM New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I Just finished the install of my AVH-4400NEX head unit with Idatalink maestro rr. I am wondering if anyone has experienced any weird things with the head unit? Mine seems to turn off after maybe an hour or so while the car is running and I have to hold the power button on the stereo to turn it back on. It also seems like the Hybrid battery is draining a little more than usual. If anyone has any feedback or stuff to check I would appreciate it. For those who uses the TO2 harness did you disconnect the OBD2 black 2 pin connector form the main harness and attach it to the OBD2? the instructions on the idatalink website said so. My car also has parking sensors but the datalink function is grayed out.

#164 EGM, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  5. Vyse

Vyse Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi everyone. Lot of you guys seem to live in the US. Is there anyone that has replaced the unit in a 4th gen prius with JBL in Europe ? Can't find the pioneer AVH 4400 here, and crutchfield doesn't seem to deliver outside the US... :(

6. Radd1280

Radd1280 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Same boat as many and lot of different threads on this.
    2016-2019 prius appear to be the same. i have a 2019 prius le AWD-e
    any help/ advice would be much appreciated. The stock radio is awful. It keeps rebooting and or disconnecting BT. Been to the dealership like 7 times and they were just awful.

Anyway... please see my question below. thanks

1) Planning on buying the idatalink Maestro RR or RR2
    2) iDatalink HRN-RR-TO2

Question:
    I want to retain:
    1) USB (front and the rear seat)
    2) AUX
    3) Steering control
    4) Stock Microphone
    5) Chime/Door controls etc. the vehicle setting
    6) Backup camera
    Spoke to Crutchfield and surprisingly came across someone who was not knowledgeable at all!

Ok giving up the Hybrid/Energy Monitor

Also, if I get the DMH-WC6600NEX 9 inch model(same dimensions as the stock radio). Would I be able to install it without the "metra bezel" and forgo the swivel?
    Pioneer DMH-WC6600NEX Digital multimedia receiver (does not play CDs) — modular design for problem installations at Crutchfield

[​IMG]

7. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    for your 9" question, not sure about that. you will be taking your chances, and I doubt the chances are high getting it exact in. For your list of retain all that, you will not be able to retain your stock microphone. There's probably electrical details why it cannot be retained. I figure that if you add an adapter to make it work, the audio quality would be horrible due to that adapter. But many of us had to use the microphone that came with the unit which works very well. Maestro RR will handle retaining the rest of the stuff on your list. hope that helps.

To reply to EGM, not sure if you have a butt plug issue, unless you soldered. I soldered my stuff and have no issue like yours. Especially check your ignition, power, and ground wires. Loose butt plugs can cause issues like that. As for the OBD2 connection, with Maestro RR, it handles a lot of CAN bus info so I didn't even need the OBD2 connected, although I installed a split harness to the OBD2 connector to fan out that wire so it's permanently wired.

Radd1280 likes this.