1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket Headunits

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by liamr, Jan 4, 2017.

1. liamr

liamr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Guys...

I would like to replace the awful factory headunit on my 4th Gen Prius. I would like a unit from a reputable manufacturer that has Android Auto and requires little or no splicing. I also want all of the steering wheel buttons to work as they should.

I would probably do the install myself as I don't trust what some "experts" will do behind the covers.

what proven options are out there?

Liam

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to Prius Chat. You are not alone in seeing a simple exchange unit, but I fear is not as easy as it sounds. However, good luck and please post of you find a solution on your own as many would be interested.

3. liamr

liamr Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    thanks RCO. I'm hoping that a high end brand like Kenwood combined with one of the interface kits will make most things work.

Seeing that you are in the UK and a fellow RHD driver, can you tell me whether there is a RHD double din dash kit available?

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! maybe drop into a car stereo shoppe and chat them up. you may come away with some good information. all the best!(y)

RCO likes this.
  5. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I'm no expert in this field, but bisco (above) is world renowned for sound advice. I'm sure you could do worse. I know there are others doing similar things on other threads here, but they're all USA based and that could be well expensive from this side of the pond.