1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket HID?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by viking31, Dec 21, 2005.

1. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    installing HID headlight assemblies on a non-HID Prius?

I read many posts regarding installing HID into a non-HID headlight assy. But, what about replacing OEM non-HID headlight ASSEMBLIES with OEM HID headlight ASSEMBLIES? Won't this just require some simple rewiring and maybe a relay? I have a 2004 Prius with front end damage, and since I'm replacing the front end I'm considering installing HID headlight assys. Aftermarket assys are available, but costly. Anyone have a lead for the cheapest way to get good quality HID headlights on my 04 Prius?

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Not true. The HID has the autoleveling function. Also, even if they were the same, the larger illuminated area of the HID bulb makes it unsuitable for a halogen-based reflector/shield assembly. The beam will not befocused correctly, and the fuzziness would mean more glare in oncoming drivers' eyes.

3. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Re: installing HID headlight assemblies on a non-HID Prius?

You would still be missing the rear axle sensor and wiring for the autoleveling function.

4. prius4ed

prius4ed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Were HID headlights available as a package in 2004? If so, can I retrofit my 2004 non-HIP Prius with HID headlight assemblies & bulbs -- by adding the rear axle sensor? Would the wiring already exist on my car?

5. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Yes, HIDs were available in 2004. I don't know if there are significant wiring changes. Of course there are wires to the rear axle sensor, and you can retrofit those. But if there is a tie-in with the body computer then it might get dicey.

Personally (and I'm a good headlamp nut), I'd pass on the HID retrofit, and put in good brighter halogen bulbs, replacing them more often. Then I'd fit foglamps that actually do some good (unlike the falsies you get with HIDs from the factory), so your low beam brightness and pattern can be close to HID quality. Less money, less hacking the car, cheaper by far to replace bulbs (since the HIDs have problems).