1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Aftermarket HU 2005 Prius, navi, no JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by MarioPtera, Jun 14, 2017.

1. MarioPtera

MarioPtera New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum! I recently acquired a 2005 Prius. It is pretty much in excellent condition, save for some dents and scratches that i will take care of as time goes by. I really wanted to buy a Prius for at least one year and finally managed to take the plunge! Very excited and satisfied with my purchase. This is a May 2005 German model (i am located in Europe), it came with Navigation, Bluetooth, but no CD changer, no JBL sound system, no mp3 playback... Basically, car description says 2005 Prius Sol Navi. I REALLY love this car and feel like a young teenage girl who got kissed for the first time :) However, the factory radio and the speakers sound... well... not good. I am a bit of an audiophile, although i would never sacrifice space to install a subwoofer in this car. Hence, i would like to replace them (first the HU, speakers later on). I rear this forum extensively, also looked at YouTube videos. I am not technically-oriented but i do like a challenge and i plan to do this install myself even if it takes me days.

So, my questions are: would a Pioneer AVH-X5800BHS be a good match for this car? I am probably not going to use the HD and satellite radio functions, so perhaps a cheaper model will suffice? Can i add a rear-view camera to it? (i really need one, parking in Europe is a nightmare). What harnesses / adapters would i need in order to make sure the AC and volume steering wheel controls keep working? I read about replacing factory radios on models with navigation (but those came with JBL as well), or models with no nagivation (and no JBL). My car is unfortunately in between... Is there a way to retain the functionality of the bluetooth steering wheel controls? And my last question: is there a way to make sure the lights for the steering wheel controls keep working?

Thanks in advance! Looking forward to your answers! :)

2. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    There is a scosche kit the comes with the harness you need to install a better head unit. also you need a metra axxess steering wheel interface unit. there are others available, but thats what i used for my '04. i got them from ebay.

3. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Prii with no JBL sound systems are much easier to put an aftermarket headunit in! The most common installations are either a single DIN "stealth" install, replacing the small "fold out" storage compartment below the stock CD player, or a double DIN install with a kit, replacing the whole CD player. If you replace the CD player, you'll need a 68 ohm resistor IIRC to keep the stock LCD for climate control etc working properly. This thread is a must read for installation and wiring, even if you don't go for a stealth install and instead put in a double-din unit like the Pioneer you referenced.

Stealth install an aftermarket stereo in Prius | PriusChat

You'll need a special adapter to wire in the audio controls on the steering wheel. I never use the controls on my steering wheel, so I simply left them connected to the stock CD player (I did the stealth install as I had an aftermarket CD player from the last car I owned). However if you remove it, I believe you can wire the headlight wire to the steering wheel controls to light them up whenever your headlights are on.

#3 Kevin_Denver, Jun 19, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2017